General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jeffem
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2017
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Cracked screen, should I panic?

Post by Jeffem »

Why is it that whenever I buy a bike there is always something broken that I missed on initial inspection?

I’ve noticed a couple of cracks emanating from one of the securing bolt holes on the screen. Is this a common issue? Or do I assume the previous owner was just heavy handed?
IMG_5860.jpeg
IMG_5860.jpeg (98.22 KiB) Viewed 338 times
I’ve removed the screen and positioned it over the rear rack so you can clearly see the two cracks.

The screen has a BMW stamp so assume it’s an extortionate price to replace like for like. Hohum.
Slow in, fast out.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 161 times
Wales

Re: Cracked screen, should I panic?

Post by EasyRider »

Mine is the same. It looked like the wrong bolts were used for the 2 hidden fixings.
When i had all my front end apart, i made sure i kept 2 bolts with the large shoulder to use with the screen.
As long as you dont over tighten them it will be ok. It more in the summer when the screen gets hot and cold.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Jeffem
Great Britain

Post by Jeffem »

EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:29 pm Mine is the same. It looked like the wrong bolts were used for the 2 hidden fixings
Agreed. When fixing any plastic to the chassis or metal frame, you should always use fasteners with a shoulder that passes through the plastic and secures against the metal. Most bikes deploy this type of fastener system. Maybe BMW should ‘shoulder’ :lol: some of the blame for using similar fasteners to those used for the two battens holding the screen. They should have considered the Japanese concept of Poka-Yoke, where errors in assembly are rendered impossible. Make the two shouldered screws a different thread size to avoid confusion with the other four screws. Simple but effective.

:cheers:
Slow in, fast out.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 88 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

You could stop drill the cracks
ColoradoGreek
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT / 2016
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by ColoradoGreek »

My original stock screen and my aftermarket replacement screen have all exhibited similar cracks. In my case none of the cracks have propagated and gotten worse and I do take the screen off the bike once or twice a year for various reasons.
Colorado Greek
2016 R1200RT
Mac001
Bike Model and Year: R1250 RT LE 2019
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

I have just had to replace my screen as mine was cracked on all six holes. The bottom holes had the cracks big enough for me to see outside the trim and my OCD cost me £350 to replace like for like. According to my dealer the cracks are common if the screen is over tightened. Also note that a plastic washer should be under the head of each of the six screws. This plastic washer is to allow for heat changes and on my bike the washers were all missing so that did not help. The plastic washers on my 2019 were part number 46638521659 and they were not expensive.
Jeffem
Great Britain

Post by Jeffem »

Mac001 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:01 am I have just had to replace my screen as mine was cracked on all six holes. The bottom holes had the cracks big enough for me to see outside the trim and my OCD cost me £350 to replace like for like. According to my dealer the cracks are common if the screen is over tightened. Also note that a plastic washer should be under the head of each of the six screws. This plastic washer is to allow for heat changes and on my bike the washers were all missing so that did not help. The plastic washers on my 2019 were part number 46638521659 and they were not expensive.
I guess the problem with buying a used bike is you never know what has been done previously or what is ‘standard’. The nylon washers are also missing from all six holes on mine, so I will get those sorted. It’s difficult to tell from the assembly drawing I’ve found online where the washers are intended to sit. For the two shouldered screws I would assume they need to sit on top of the screen to create a barrier between the screw head and the screen. In terms of the four screws that secure the two battens, I don’t see the logic of placing them between the screw head and the battens.

I like the OEM (is there only one size?), and I realise you get what you pay for, but £350 for something that appears to fail in that manner, is a bit pricey. I’ve swapped and changed various screens on previous bikes and it can be a minefield trying to get the ‘Goldilocks’ result. I am happy to live with the current cracks as long as they are hidden behind the batten, but like you, if they continue to move I will be on the hunt for alternatives as similar to the OEM as I can. Powerbronze are within walking distance of my home but whenever I’ve tried their products they have always disappointed. Hohum…
Slow in, fast out.
Mac001
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

Jeffem wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am I guess the problem with buying a used bike is you never know what has been done previously or what is ‘standard’. The nylon washers are also missing from all six holes on mine, so I will get those sorted. It’s difficult to tell from the assembly drawing I’ve found online where the washers are intended to sit. For the two shouldered screws I would assume they need to sit on top of the screen to create a barrier between the screw head and the screen. In terms of the four screws that secure the two battens, I don’t see the logic of placing them between the screw head and the battens.

I like the OEM (is there only one size?), and I realise you get what you pay for, but £350 for something that appears to fail in that manner, is a bit pricey. I’ve swapped and changed various screens on previous bikes and it can be a minefield trying to get the ‘Goldilocks’ result. I am happy to live with the current cracks as long as they are hidden behind the batten, but like you, if they continue to move I will be on the hunt for alternatives as similar to the OEM as I can. Powerbronze are within walking distance of my home but whenever I’ve tried their products they have always disappointed. Hohum…
I asked my dealer where the others go and he said straight under the screw head. It holds the screw and allows room for both bits to expand as you do not wind it up as tight and it doesn’t dig into the plastic. On the screen front, BMW did two sizes for my year bike, a sports lower screen or the higher standard which suits me perfectly. Like you I have found screens are almost as bad as seats in finding the correct one for yourself. I think you are taking the right approach to seeing what works before you change. Other options in the UK are Wunderlich which start at around the £220 bracket and I have seen Ztechnik (I could have that spelt incorrectly) they were more expensive but supposedly stronger. Others it seems have to be imported from what I could find which these days adds a fair bit. I also do not like branding from the firms on the screens and a few I saw had this. Hence I just opted for what I knew worked. Powerbronze for me always left a lot to be desired and with the size of our screens a wobbly blurred screen for me is a no no.
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

Are there supposed to be grommets on the bolts? My (new) 2021 was assembled with no grommets on the w/shield bolts. They also used 2 right brackets rather than one left & one right. So it's not always used bikes w/ unknown issues.
Mac001
Great Britain

Post by Mac001 »

Totaled TL wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:24 pm Are there supposed to be grommets on the bolts? My (new) 2021 was assembled with no grommets on the w/shield bolts. They also used 2 right brackets rather than one left & one right. So it's not always used bikes w/ unknown issues.
I have seen a video about changing the screen on a tft model. The original screen had rubber bushes on the screen and these were extracted to fit the new screen. So I think they are on the screen not the bolts. Realoem would probably be the best place for confirmation.