Heated SEAT wiring HELP?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mjbash66

Heated SEAT wiring HELP?

Post by Mjbash66 »

Hey everyone, I've recently purchased a BMW R1200 RT 2005, it has a dual heated seat, the bike wasn't originally fitted with one so does not have the handlebar switch. Under the seat are two small connectors.
How easy/ difficult is to wire up? Do I need a heat controller can I us the rocker switch ( for pillion) in any way?

Any suggested greatly appreciated?

Mike
guest2360

Re: Heated SEAT wiring HELP?

Post by guest2360 »

I dont think you can retrofit heated seating.  If your seat is a bench seat, ie comfort one it might have the pillion switch on the side of it but there will be no wiring on the bike to connect it. Have you any pics of the 2 connectors you have found
choogh

Post by choogh »

Can the OP run additional wires from the front and rear accesory sockets to the seat plugs??
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would very much doubt it. The pillion seat has a two stage switch so that might just work but there would be no control for the front.  Additionally if it did work there is a possibility the sockets wouldn't shunt down when the ignition is switched off .  Lot easier to wear thermal long johns. 
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

My 2012 RT didn't originally come with the heated seat option. I added the Comfort Seat shortly after purchase. When my right side switch failed I inquired about adding heat. My Dealer knew that all the hookups needed were on the main harness and thought it was worth a try.

They replaced the failed right side switch with one that had the heat controller, wired the seat to the existing plugs and then performed some type of VooDoo magic to reprogram the computer.

So far it's been flawless for over 2 years and I couldn't be happier! It's set up like it came from the factory.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the BMW Rider's Manuals, Haynes Manuals, Parts Lists & having owned both a 2007 (same as 2005) & 2010/2 Bikes, the Handlebar switches are different.

On the 2005 Bike, the Handlebar switch & related wiring harness are not individual parts.
(The fuel tank needs to be removed & wiring traced back to it's appropriate connector).

On a 2012 Bike, the Handlebar switch can be disconnected from the wiring harness at the bar end.
This is probably why replacing the failed RHS switch on a 2012 Bike has been successful in now controlling the heated seat.
(It is likely that the wiring harness on all models is the same & switches etc. are changed depending on the Model Spec. & Factory Options fitted at manufacture).

It also suggests why the recall on the multi-function switches (Twin Cams) is such a quick fix.

Don't know if changing the switch plus related wiring on a 2005 Bike would work the same as above, one can only ask the question of your local friendly BMW Dealer.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Don't know if changing the switch plus related wiring on a 2005 Bike would work the same as above.
Looks like it can & has been done, http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php ... or-2005-RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Might pay to find someone with a bike with a working heated seat and plug yours in to make sure it works.  It could be a lot of work for nothing.  Still think fluffy long johns is a good option. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There may be another option, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/7 ... eated.html.

"You can wire the passenger switch to turn on off both seats."