Garage Door Remote Control

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 59 times
Great Britain

Garage Door Remote Control

Post by Capt Sisko »

Something I've been wanting to do for a long time is to fit a press button somewhere on the fairing so when I get home I can press the bottom as I approach the garage and ride straight in. I looked at several kits, all horrendously expensive and overly complicated so I made my own! I now have a fully functional and discretely mounted garage door operator in my RT.

1a. The original remote control. As you can see it's got a large press button on the front.
1b. Opening it up shows that button is pressing onto a tiny button on a circuit board.
1c A friend soldered two wires to it for me.
1d I drilled two holes through the case, fed the wires through, sealed the holes and reassembled.
1. Remote Control.jpg
1. Remote Control.jpg (367.48 KiB) Viewed 707 times
At the other end of the wire goes a sprung loaded momentary push button. It works exactly the same as the main remote and the one I chose is allegedly waterproof.
2a Note O-Ring under the flange for weather proofing and the thin 'nut'.
2b Two wires, dead easy.
j. Momentary - Two wires.jpg
j. Momentary - Two wires.jpg (239.43 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Remove the Fairing Panel - Measure it twice, cut it once.
3a. Where I wanted to put the momentary switch was carefully measures so the new push button would be in line with and have the same centre to centre measurement as the OEM Radio buttons.
3b Unfortunately the screw holding the case the radio buttons are in was in the way.
3c So I had to move it up an inch or so.
3d Drilling the hole. That's the, right I'm committed here now moment!
3. Drilling.jpg
3. Drilling.jpg (256.51 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Installation.
4a The momentary push button needed to be pressed through hole, the wires reattached, but the nut was impossible to tighten with a spanner, so finger tight & threadloc it had to be. It shouldn't vibrate free and even if it does, as the button was tight fit and isn't going anywhere fast.
4b The original remote control was attached to a plastic mounting with a 1" square of self adhesive heavy duty Velcro. This will allow it to be easily remove when the battery needs replacing. Everything behind the fairing panel looked dry and that rain or spray doesn't get in so the original body of the remote control should be safe from the weather.
4c. The finished job. I'd have preferred the push button to be a little closer to the radio buttons, but the aforementioned screw was in the way so there's a bit of a gap. By next week I'm sure I won't even notice it. Anyway, everything works, the button is in easy reach and looked neat enough for me.
4. Installtions.jpg
4. Installtions.jpg (260.94 KiB) Viewed 707 times
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 396 times
Great Britain

Re: Garage Door Remote Control

Post by sakm »

This is something that I also want to do!

It's just finding the time 😂
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

sakm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:47 pm This is something that I also want to do!
The actual doing bit wasn't that bad, just took a bit of courage to drill the hole! The remote was sitting unused in the spares drawer, the push button cost £8.00, the hole cutter £5.20, (both from Amazon) and the soldering & wire a beer.
Quite cheap and in the end easy to do.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Capt Sisko wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:39 pm The actual doing bit wasn't that bad, just took a bit of courage to drill the hole! The remote was sitting unused in the spares drawer, the push button cost £8.00, the hole cutter £5.20, (both from Amazon) and the soldering & wire a beer.
Quite cheap and in the end easy to do.
I have all the gear in the garage so no cost involved at all for me! Just time to actually do it!

For the time being I stuck the remote temporarily to the underneath of one of the cubby hole lids

Been like it for 2 years :lol:
ColoradoGreek
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT / 2016
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by ColoradoGreek »

i bought this little guy and keep it in my tank bag and it works great:
https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9.html ... DCEALw_wcB
Colorado Greek
2016 R1200RT
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 909 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Snobs with all these fancy gadgets. ;)
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 160 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

Great job there Capt. I did sort of the same. I dont have a radio so used the holes that were already in the panel.

20240209_143506.jpg
20240209_143506.jpg (199.58 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

EasyRider wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:12 pm I dont have a radio so .......
To be honest the OEM radio on my '18 is a waste of time. AM & FM only and a 3.5mm jack socket for an MP3 player. I mean who still broadcast on those frequencies or uses an ipod nowadays. Then there's the wind & engine noise, not to mention my head's inside a helmet with -27db earplugs in!

My bike was an ex demo bike and loaded with just about everything, but having tried it I wouldn't pay the extra for a radio if I was ordering a new bike.
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Capt Sisko wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:04 pm To be honest the OEM radio on my '18 is a waste of time, AM & FM only and a 3.5mm jack socket for an MP3 player. I mean who still broadcast on those frequencies or uses an ipod nowadays. Then there's the wind & engine noise not to mention my head inside a helmet with -27db earplugs in.

My bike was an ex demo bike saw was loaded with just about everything, but having tried it I wouldn't pay the extra for a radio to be fitted to a new bike.
I'm exactly the same with mine!
Totaled TL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Totaled TL »

Just velcro a remote inside cubby hole lid. Easy.
OscarTGrouch
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by OscarTGrouch »

Flash2Pass.com, mounts on the bike under a fairing or behind the speaker, the way it works is you flash your high beams coming up the drive. Bam! garage door opens! Like pulling into the "Bat Cave" :lol:
2023 R1250RT :lol:
2022 R1800TC gone :)
2016 R1200RT w/c gone :)
2014 K100GTL (gone) :(
2014 R1200RT w/c (gone) :(
2005 R1200RT Hex head (gone) :(
Capt Sisko
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

OscarTGrouch wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 am Flash2Pass.com, ...............
FYI - Flash2Pass have ceased trading, and the company that acquired the rights (NSDC) have discontinued them. They do have a replacement but 1/ It looks one heck of a lot more complicated. And 2/ It's $260 before I even think about shipping & import costs to the UK. My DIY system cost less than £20.00 (including a special hole cutting drill which I'll probably never use again). Ultimately it was quite cheap and a lot easier to do than I thought. It just took a bit of courage to drill into the fairing.
Orca the RT
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Orca the RT »

Love this idea!
I have my somfy door remote cable ties to handlebars...I thought I was pretty smart doing that but your install is next level. Bravo!