General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 92 times
Great Britain

SOS button

Post by Glenn »

For those that think the button is a bit of a novelty (I was one of them). After I was knocked off of my bike last week, once the bike was lifted off of my leg, I could hear a tinny voice saying "Are you OK?" then I remembered the SOS feature, I tried to understand what was being said but there was too much road noise. Within 3-5 minutes 2 private ambulances had arrived, (I thought they were NHS but was corrected when the 999 ambulance arrived 10 - 15 minutes later), I can only assume they were called via the BMW call centre. I ended up with 3 ambulances and 2 police cars.

"Intelligent Emergency Call, a car-derived system that automatically dials for help in the case of a crash. Depending on how severe the accident is judged to be (from the transmitted data), BMW’s call centre either instantly alerts the emergency services or rings the rider via the bike’s in-built speaker."
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 60 times
Great Britain

Re: SOS button

Post by Capt Sisko »

I thought they were akin to what they used to call the 'look mum' hatch they had in submarines, but good to hear it actually worked. I hope you weren't injured and the bike's not too damaged.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2018
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 92 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

I escaped lightly, bruising to my left leg and right upper are and ligament damage in the right shoulder.

The bike is a potential write off, the left mirror was ripped out of the fairing, left side body panels damaged and scuffing to the rear gearbox housing. The crash bar has pushed in the front of the valve cover, so there may be damage to the shift cam mech and the cylinder head.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

The main thing is you got away with minor injuries. I hope you recover soon. Just think,It may be your pride and joy but metal can be replaced.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.