Buying a pre-owned Garmin Zumo 660 LM

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Buying a pre-owned Garmin Zumo 660 LM

Post by David. »

I've got the opportunity to buy a pre-owned Garmin Zumo 660 LM, (lifetime map updates). My understanding (Google searching) is that the map updates are licenced to the original owner and cannot be transferred, is this true. As the map updates are not that frequent, am I better off just asking the previous owner to update the maps for me. If the previous owner de-registers the device and I re-register it, will the lifetime map updates be lost.

Please can anyone confirm the above and offer any other useful advice about purchasing a pre-owned sat. nav. before I part with my money, thank you.

(I'll try and speak to Garmin but thought I'd ask here too).
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 165 times
Wales

Re: Buying a pre-owned Garmin Zumo 660 LM

Post by EasyRider »

Hi David

Not from what i've found. Just add it to your garmin express and all should be good.
I never buy new sat navs and never had a problem with getting the updated maps for a used sat nav.
The only problem i've had is trying to do the update over wifi.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spoken to Garmin, their advice is to ask the seller to de-register the device from his Garmin Express account.

I then add/register the device to my Garmin Express account and it becomes mine.

Hopefully, this will allow me to use the new (pre-owned) device in the same way as I use my current Zumo 660.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:30 am Hi David

Not from what i've found. Just add it to your garmin express and all should be good.
I never buy new sat navs and never had a problem with getting the updated maps for a used sat nav.
The only problem i've had is trying to do the update over wifi.
I can confirm the above.
I had no issues updating a mate's unit on my computer. I think the lifetime maps are registered to the unit. Registration of the owner of the unit might be needed for other purposes but not mapping updates.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The seller is loading Northwest Europe maps which includes the UK. He previously had Northeast Europe for a trip to Iceland.

I'd rather purchase the device with the maps loaded which I want to use.

He will then de-register the device and I will re-register it on Garmin Express as another device with my email address. When speaking to Garmin, they always ask for your name and email address. They can see which device(s) you have registered with Garmin Express.
jclaudej
Bike Model and Year: 1250 RT 2019
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times
France

Post by jclaudej »

Hi David,

I don't know the price of your Garmin 660 but today you have other solution as smartphone + Wunderlinq with the possibility to control your GPSapplication with magic whell, or Carpuride (Android car or CarPlay).
For me I think it's the end of GPS classic because with application as Kurviger, Cruiser......... you have mors possibility and today a smartphone is more powerfull that a GPS.
An other point, with Garmin you have a limitation of crossing point (29 if my memory is good) no limit with applications.

Have nice day
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I don't do technology and my Zumo 660 has worked perfectly well for the last 13 years. I've got two motorcycles with Garmin mounts and two cars with car mounts. On the motorcycles, the navigation voice prompts are heard via a hard wired Autocom system into helmet speakers. While I have the opportunity to purchase a spare, newer, less used Zumo 660 for a fraction (1/6th) of the cost of a BMW unit I will. The BMW units can and do fail.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/bmw-mo ... -bma000620
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I picked up the new (pre-owned) Zumo 660 last night. All looks good so far with the device updated and added to my Garmin Express account. My Zumo 660 is 2011 and the newer one is 2014. The only difference I can find is that the 2014 model does not have, Settings > Proximity Points > Proximity Alerts > Garmin Safety Cameras. I understand that these may be available via Garmin Express for a free trial or subscription.

Please can anyone help with this matter, thank you.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Spoke to Garmin again today, have installed the Safety Camera free 30 day trial on the new (pre-owned) Zumo 660.

On my original Zumo 660 have paid £16.99 for 1 year's subscription to the Safety Cameras. Any updates within the 12 months will be free.