Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
columrick
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT

Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by columrick »

2010 1200RT. Getting that startup clacking sound, definitely from the left side, enough so I need to replace that tensioner. Upon unscrewing the left side tensioner from the engine case, I found I can't angle it in any way to remove it. The front suspension pivot, just above where the tensioner is located, appears to be in the way. I spent some time fiddling without success. Anyone provide me with some tech assistance, I'd appreciate it. The tensioner has a 15mm head.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by Our Gee »

There is a procedure in the Haynes Manual which describes removal of the Tensioners. (Engine in The Frame) Also there are some videos on Utube, unfortunately not for a Camhead although the general procedure will be the same, ie displacement of the Left Throttle Body which I presume you will have done ?.
Do you intend replacement with a standard BMW Tensioner or an "After Market" upgraded item ?.
columrick
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT

Re: Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by columrick »

I purchased the newest version I could find of the tensioner (found 2010-2013 used different tensioner than 05-09).

I watched several videos, and have a BMW guide. Seemed easy enough. The BMW manual shows the same method as the videos I watched.

Got down to wiggling the tensioner that's in the engine around to get it out. I couldn't "find" an angle to get it out, and the telelever pivot above the tensioner location was in the way.

I chose to torque the tensioner back down, and complete the rest of the seasonal maintenance; then I'll dive into the tensioner issue later.

I'm done with everything else, so I'm giving it another go. If I can't get it out, I'll just unbolt the telelever pivot, and move it out of the way enough to complete the job. I have a motorcycle jack that will keep the bike stable while the telelever is unbolted.