General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Minty
Bike Model and Year: 2017 FJR1300 AE
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Potential owner in Yorkshire

Post by Minty »

Morning from West Yorkshire. I am hoping to make a new home here if all goes to plan.

Edit; make a new home On This Forum. Thanks Elkinell!

I currently own a 2017 FJR 1300 AE but would like to trade in for a new RT soon. I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered here and, one very important deal breaker question! I have a test ride in grimsby in a couple of weeks so I'd like to go in with a bit more knowledge.

I have mostly always owned this style of bike, two 1300 Pan European, two GTR1400, absolutely love the GTR, if only kawasaki had updated it with semi active suspension and cruise control..., so the weight of the RT won't really be an issue, it's lighter than the FJR on paper!

Here's the thing, I'm not a boxer virgin. In 2022 I traded my lovely 2015 GTR for my first ever factory ordered bike as a 50 year birthday treat, a GS TE triple black. Before ordering I had two test rides on the GS, I liked it and didn't notice anything bad.

After a couple of months with the GS I noticed when I got home from a ride out that my ears would be ringing quite a lot more than normal (I've had tinnitus since a trip to Germany on a VFR in 2002) and my head would be pounding then, during a ride I noticed the noise coming up through the fork tunnel on different road surfaces from approx 35mph and up. It got to a point where I just couldn't ride the thing. I asked the dealer (in york) about it and got the standard reply 'never heard of that before sir' Luckily the finance guy at the dealer heard and let me try his own 1200 GS with road tyres, my bike had anakee adventures, the noise was still there but less so, maybe its the frequency, who knows. There's lots online about it, Africa twins are bad too apparently.

So, my question, does the RT have the same issue? I don't know much about bmw bikes but to me, the RT looks like the GS frame but faired, don't hate me for my ignorance lol

I really enjoyed the engine and particularly the GS suspension and would like to go back to that kind of ride, it actually made me laugh out loud when I looked down and saw the forks furiously bobbing up and down smoothing out a rough road😄

So any comments would be really appreciated. I know a test ride or two is the only way to know and I should know bank holiday week.

I have other questions but I think I've put you all through enough for now!

Paul.
Last edited by Minty on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Potential owner in Yorkshire

Post by Elkinell »

Hello and welcome, You'll find Yorkshire a great place to live so don't worry about that. I think the noise problem will be down to tyre choice and the variable road surfaces we have. There's somebody here who will be able to tell you where the noisiest roads are around Humberside for your test ride.. You'll love how much lighter the RT is than your FJR and you'll love how much more protection from the wind and weather it gives you over the GS. Also Helmet choice/ear plugs etc has a lot to do with noise as I'm sure you know. I tried earplugs years ago and found that I rode faster... anyway you'll love the RT. That 1250 Shiftcam engine is lovely ;)
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

Oh no, my first post and I've messed up🤦🏼‍♂️🤣
Thanks for the greeting.

Now I've had a chance to read it, I was trying to say make a new home here on this 'forum' I'm Yorkshire born and bred lol

Thanks for the information, I am looking forward to try a lightweight like the RT haha.

I did have some new custom plugs made by ACS Hearing with their maximum 27db filters and bought a new hjc helmet but still couldn't handle the GS.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 913 times
Been liked: 240 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

It's all down the screen size. GS has the screen the size of a A4 piece of paper. Whilst the RT has a barn door.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

No such place as Humberside as the county was divided up. Its now North Lincolnshire, North East Lincolnshire, or East Yorkshire. Plenty of pot holed roads throughout each local authority. :-D
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 406 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Elkinell wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am Humberside
Where 🤔 😂

Anyway from marshalls in grimsby head to the A180

Nice solid concrete road from Grimsby up to the Humber bridge turn off with some of it re surfaced
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I’ve had my latest RT for nearly 8 years now, and was under pressure from a friend to move up to a tractor.. Oops sorry a GS 😀…. Anyway after giving in and test riding his GS, I think he was disappointed with my response … to much noise coming up through the forks, to wide in the bars for my liking and I seemed to have to toe in to the rear brake, I was glad to give it him back 😂
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

DaveCly wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 pm I’ve had my latest RT for nearly 8 years now, and was under pressure from a friend to move up to a tractor.. Oops sorry a GS 😀…. Anyway after giving in and test riding his GS, I think he was disappointed with my response … to much noise coming up through the forks, to wide in the bars for my liking and I seemed to have to toe in to the rear brake, I was glad to give it him back 😂
Thanks. This makes me feel better about the test ride. I did notice on the new gs there is now a fork shield installed so it's obviously known by bmw.

It is marshall bmw in laceby for the test ride, they are twice as far away as barrie robson in york but they seem very obliging and more forthcoming with answers to all my questions. But being from Yorkshire, I'd go anywhere to save a few bob 😉
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 406 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

I have had some good experiences with Marshalls and not so good with barrie Robson

Also worth looking at vertu bmw in Shipley formerly Allen Jeffrey's

I bought my bike from them and everything was a breeze
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Put some road focused tyres on a GS instead of the 70/30 adventure types and buy a GS. Thank me later 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Doctor T wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 pm It's all down the screen size. GS has the screen the size of a A4 piece of paper. Whilst the RT has a barn door.
At least you get a reasonable choice for an RT screen, mine had the sport screen on when I got it. After a couple of soakings and I changed it for the Wunderlich marathon.
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

I'll test ride next week and if its all good I'll see what deals can be done against the FJR and other dealers too.

I did hear bad reviews about barrie robsons but I'll give anyone a chance.

I found with the GS, after fitting a Puig screen, the noise was even worse, probably because I was more isolated from the breeze. I did try the dealers bike on road tyres, I think they were metzler. Thinking back, I ought to have fitted the road 6 to my bike and given it more of a chance. The thing is, I've wanted a GS since the 1200 came out in 2004 (nothing to do with Charley and his buddy!) so when I didn't bond with it due to the pain, and it was painful, I was devastated and just wanted it gone.

Anyway, I'll know bank holiday week.

Paul