Side Stand Replacement

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
1952gnome
Bike Model and Year: BMW F800GT 2, 2017 R1200RT014
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Side Stand Replacement

Post by 1952gnome »

I am the proud new owner of a 2017 R1200RT, purchased last fall. Previously I have owned a couple of F800's, a RT and a GT. I especially liked the GT, but would get blown around when passing semi's on the freeway. So late last fall I found and purchased 2017 R1200RT. Love the bike! I have added a Sargent Heated Low Seat, crash bars for the panniers, and cylinder head covers, and a Garmin Zumo XT in a 3DAM mount. At 5' 5" (165 cm) tall, I can nearly flat foot the beast. My gripe at this point is the side stand, I have a hell of a time reaching that little ball welded on the side of it. Takes repeated tries to get it to retract. I cut a 2" length of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing, and slid it over that little ball that protrudes from the side stand, then inserted a 2" length of wood dowel into the tube. Then held the whole assembly in place with a ring tube clamp. This helps, but it still bends at the point where the tube fits over the ball, and I have already added an aftermarket foot enlarger to the side stand base plate. I have seen a number of generic side stand replacements advertised on Ebay and Amazon. Any one have any experience with them, or is there a more easily manipulated stand that you could recommend?

Thanks! Mike
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: Side Stand Replacement

Post by David. »

This thread may be helpful, viewtopic.php?t=5557&hilit=side+stand
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 916 times
Been liked: 244 times
Great Britain

Re: Side Stand Replacement

Post by Doctor T »

Get someone to weld a length of metal to the stand. Make sure it has a bent in to the miss the exhaust
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.