Mexico: R1200RT vs old Honda ST1300

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
andydavis
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Mexico: R1200RT vs old Honda ST1300

Post by andydavis »

I've ridden through Mexico the last three years. '22 and '23 on my old 2003 Honda ST1300, which, in retrospect, was not really suitable for the roads. In October I bought a new (2009) RT. I've ridden about 7-8 thousand miles per trip. This year I took the new bike from Berkeley, CA down the east coast of Mexico (Monterrey, Tampico, Veracruz) to the Yucatan and Quintana Roo (I don't recommend this route). On the way back, I came through Chiapas, Bahias Huatulco, and then mostly up the west coast. A high point for riding was the old mountain highway #40 from Durango to Mazatlan. It was bypassed in 2016 by the new autopista; consequently, the old road was completely empty. I stopped at the famous Espinazo del Diablo for over a half an hour and not a single vehicle passed in either direction. Here's a photo at the turnout just to prove I was there:
Espinazo del diablo.JPG
Espinazo del diablo.JPG (264.89 KiB) Viewed 175 times
and here's a link to a video of the same spot:

Of course, the ST1300 has the best engine of all times, but it really wasn't suited for the majority of public, free roads in Mexico. The main problem (and the curse of riding in Mexico) are the ubiquitous speed bumps (topes)...I bottomed out hard on my crankcase at least twenty times last year; whereas, on the RT this year I didn't touch once. I admit, I was a little suspicious of the RT's engine at first (massively over square pistons, high compression ratio, two spark plugs/head). It's amazing, really, that they can squeeze all that power out of such an ancient design. So, in conclusion, although I was dubious at first, I am now a convert.

Why the RT is better for Mexico:
- Doesn't bottom out on the speed bumps
- Slightly better fuel economy
- Amazingly, it runs cooler
- Lighter
- Electronic cruise control! (how did I ever live without it?)
- For some strange, aerodynamic reason it is more stable in cross winds
- Numerous dealerships in Mexico (new fork seals in Cancun)

Things I still kind of miss about the ST:
- The friggin' amazingly smooth, reliable engine
- Better seating (for me) with a sportier, more forward steering positon
- The mechanically linked brakes. Admittedly, hard to bleed, but amazing at hauling that heavy monster to a stop.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 242 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Mexico: R1200RT vs old Honda ST1300

Post by Steve398 »

Sounds a great trip, well done!

I had an ST for 11 years but the heat thrown onto the rider was one of the principal reasons I’m on an RT, it must have been particularly bad for you in Mexico?

I far preferred the V4 Honda engine, but the Pan 1300 was technologically outdated pretty soon after it’s launch, I added a McCruise cruise control unit which was expensive but very useful. I also changed the suspension on my ST to Wilbers and had the rear spring beefed up, so no sump grounding even over the speed bumps fully laden.

Did you ever get the infamous weave? Something Honda took criticism on at the time, but mine never suffered, possibly attributable to the suspension change.

Honda and the linked brakes - they were pretty strongly attacked by the motorcycle press over this one, but TBH I never found it a problem and ironically this is now partially included on the RT. But for me, the one thing that the ST and the RT share is uncomfortable seats on a long run, I’ve replaced stock for Sargent seats each time.

The ST was a good bike in its time, but Honda’s decision not to produce a VFR1200 touring version left them with no real successor, a shame as the engine was superb and the proposed bike looked interesting on the publicised mock-ups.

Anyone ridden the current NT yet?
andydavis
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by andydavis »

yeah, that V4 takes up all the space between your legs and there's basically no where for the heat to go except up. I was grateful for that extra heat about half the time last year. This year on the RT, I was cold all the way to about Tampico. For sure, if the air temperature got over 95F I had to strip off and ride naked. Next year I will wear some warmer pants, for sure.

I rode a bunch of bikes to replace the ST, including a K1300 and a k1600, but I have realized that for me, personally, horsepower is the enemy...I mean it brings out the worst in me. I deliberately chose a 2009 RT because it is: fast enough, easy to fix, easy valve adjustment and cheap. The VFR1200F is freaking awesome but is just too much muchness...definitely not a good Mexico bike.

Here's a picture of the ST last year on a road that it had no business going on:
tamul crash.jpg
tamul crash.jpg (387.25 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 242 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Ouch! And a pig to pick up from that angle.

The RT is good for touring and some 100lbs lighter than the ST, but more importantly for my wife it has ample pillion room. I think you’re probably right about the power though, I’d have lost my licence by now on the VFR…