7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Winter riding!

Post by 7vwh »

had a hoon around on Saturday! The ride in at 06:15 was great on the LC with the grips, seat and better wind protection. At work! F**k me it was cold! My boots were wet through with the road shite and ultimately I got numb toes so had to seek refuge and warm the little buggers up for 45 minutes (air temp -1'c, feels like temp -5'c). Got the asc kicking in a few times on the icy stretches, but when that morning sun is behind you, you can't see the icy stuff to be fair! Can't wait to get the new LC bikes at work but given 'austerity cuts' I can't see me being in this role in the next 12 months :-(

Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by 7vwh on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Winter riding!

Post by David. »

Interesting that you should say your tootsies got cold,  I run a 2012 RT like your job bike & suffer from cold feet.

Do you use any heated clothing for work or pleasure.

Have invested in some Kies Heated Insoles, they are great, have got a supply & controller on my XJ650, not yet got an installation on the RT.

Hopefully the RT won't be used when it is too cold, but may purchase an additional lead & controller set up.

What riding kit do you use/recommend for Winter riding.

Aberfoyle in Scotland, Easter 2013, (pre heated insoles).
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

7vwh wrote: had a hoon around on Friday! The ride in at 06:15 was great on the LC with the grips, seat and better wind protection. At work! F**k me it was cold! My boots were wet through with the road shite and ultimately I got numb toes so had to seek refuge and warm the little buggers up for 45 minutes (air temp -1'c, feels like temp -5'c).
Yesterday (Saturday ) it `warmed  up'  down here in sunny Kent to 6c, so out I went for a 60 odd mile round trip to blow the cobwebs out taking in the `White Cliffs of Dover' -  could actually see the French coast it was so clear -  smashing - not much traffic, -  heated grips on first setting,  didn't need the heated seat but should have put thicker socks on.    Good to get out again .  ;)    Shame,  poor  7vwh has to ride out in this weather ` working',
( Good Lad  though )  as he's  paying into my `pension fund'.    But anyone else getting out yet,  or are the  RT's `snug'  in the Garages ? 
  (soon be Summer !! )    8) 
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

David, I have a circulation issue/disease! On my yamaha Fazer I never went out when it was 10'c or less but the LC has not as yet been a problem. I don't run heated kit at home mainly because I choose not to ride for pleasure when it's shitty cold! As for work, no heated gear, rukka clothing snd weiße gloves. To be fair on reflection, I shouldn't have gone out on Saturday, the first three incidents I attended were cars ending up off road due to ice!!
Last edited by 7vwh on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Steyln, 1068 days and counting lol. I did 216 miles that shift
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Must admit I've been luck have had a couple of rides per week so far this winter. 200 miles this weekend. Brill. Bought a  Rev'it Cyclone Waterproof Jacket - Neon Yellow to wear over my Rukka. High viz and white crash hat makes me look like Plod, get some interesting reactions from car drivers. Unfortunately doesn't stop people pulling out in front of you ! Maybe I need some blue flashing lights as well, do NN sell them.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I have said, if it's not "Double Figures" 10degC I'm not going out.

Putting heated grips on the XJ650 made the difference between riding in the Winter or not.

I have Alpinestars Textiles, BMW Boots & Gloves, I find the Summer Gloves OK with heated grips.

The Heated Insoles have made a big difference, might look at a Heated Waistcoast, I do feel the cold.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

7vwh,  I must admit air temp -1'c that's  seriously grim -  mine would have stayed in the Garage  I had to think about going out at 6c as some roads were  still a bit `iffy',    Was that photo of the Bike taken on the day you were working ?.  I suspect your  Class 1  trained pursuit, so can handle a bit of `bad weather',  so way  out of my league and probably everyone else here.    Keep safe ;)
Steve
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think the RT is good when it gets cold so much better than my Multistrada. Heated grips, seat and vest and good wind protection and your good down to 1 or 2 degrees. For me I would not ride without my heated Keiss vest. Best bit of kit I have for winter riding, keeps your core body temp warm which helps your extremities. My no ride weather is ice and snow and freezing temps, then the bike sits in the garage.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

quote author=Levisp link=topic=1186.msg7420#msg7420 date=1422224778]
I think the RT is good when it gets cold so much better than my Multistrada. Heated grips, seat and vest and good wind protection and your good down to 1 or 2 degrees. For me I would not ride without my heated Keiss vest. Best bit of kit I have for winter riding, keeps your core body temp warm which helps your extremities. My no ride weather is ice and snow and freezing temps, then the bike sits in the garage.
[/quote]
Totally agree, best faired Bike I've had and comfortable for both rider and pillion, Herr BMW got it right with the RT's  ;) 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Agree that the RT has great weather protection.  The heated grips on my RTLC are great and this is the only bit of heated kit I have.  In the cold I use the thermal gear I used to use under my drysuit when diving.  I wear a Fourth Element Xerotherm long sleeved top, shorts & socks.  I base layer my hands with a set of skin tight one millimeter neoprene gloves I had custom made.  Over this I have my riding gear - Alpinestars Andes jacket and pants, RST Paragon gloves & Sidi B2 boots.  I have done 200 miles in 0 Celsius with this set up in reasonable comfort.
I like the Xerotherm gear as it is a combined base & thermal layer in one and it's no bulkier than a thin fleece.

John
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: I think the RT is good when it gets cold so much better than my Multistrada. Heated grips, seat and vest and good wind protection and your good down to 1 or 2 degrees. For me I would not ride without my heated Keiss vest. Best bit of kit I have for winter riding, keeps your core body temp warm which helps your extremities. My no ride weather is ice and snow and freezing temps, then the bike sits in the garage.

Interesting comments on here.  I also used to have an MTS and riding that I used Keis jacket, insoles and even goves sometimes.

On the RT all I use are the heated grips and seat.

I wear Falke merino socks and Daytona Roadstar boots.  So far, so good...
Ricwolt

Post by Ricwolt »

Hi there it Richard from Down Under
I read the stories about cold weather and wonder what is worse  On saturday I took possession of my 2010 R1200RT which I purchased a month ago but decided to leave in the dealer's showroom until sat. (I did not want to waste the warranty period as I couldn't ride until now and i want to go on a long trip of around 6 km in Feb. Anyway... Yesterday my wife and I decided that we should try out our new beast. When we left home it was 32 degrees C and half an hour later 37 degrees, Boy is this bike hot. We headed for the hill but first had to go through the city of Brisbane. We saw a alarming 40 degrees on the display. Best to keep going with the screen at lowest position. On top of the mountain still 38 degrees C ,we headed for an air conditioned coffee shop. We only did 200 km but were absolutely exhausted when we arrived home.  Looking forward to cooler weather. Cheers to all. Richard
Far away is only far away if you never go there
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

With you on that. Prefer cold over extreme heat. However I bet you have some lovely clean dry roads with no salt. Roll on summer.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

7vwh wrote:Can't wait to get the new LC bikes at work.
"Below is a recently released photo of the 2014 BMW R1200RTP. It is the police verson of this bike."

http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm