Red warning light rear brake problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
robparky
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Red warning light rear brake problems

Post by robparky »

Hi
My 2007 1200Rt 34k has been laid up for 6 months whilst travelling. Replaced battery. Starts fine but after going through yellow warning light and brake failure light which goes off after short distance rotations, the red warning light comes-on solid particularly when apply rear brake. ABS whines ok for front and for short period on rear only. Rear brake lights come on for front brake lever but not rear. Manual says solid red light is brake switch issue. Rear fluid level fine and no obvious wiring issues. I don't have access to a GS911.
Any comments please as I am due to ride out over to France end of the month and can see that disappearing in front of my eyes. Out of MOT which further complicates matters.
Many thanks in hope that you can help.
Rob
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 242 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Red warning light rear brake problems

Post by Steve398 »

All getting a bit close now isn’t it? :o

Mine’s going in next Tues for a small service and new tyres before we head off at silly o’clock on the 28th.

I think I’d pass this one on to a professional Rob… best of luck with the fault and MOT.
robparky
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Red warning light rear brake problems

Post by robparky »

PANIC OVER. SORTED
Found that the metal strip from the switch was somehow now on the wrong side of the stop lug for the lever. Reshaped it so it released the switch when lever depressed and have ABS whine, brake lights and no dreaded red triangle. Sorted in the cold light of day.
Also thanks to Jim of Superbike Surgery Ltd who talked me through possible issues even though he is booked up till July. Really nice guy.
Just need to drop some rear pads in for the MOT and hopefully all good for France. 🇫🇷