General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Minty
Bike Model and Year: 2017 FJR1300 AE
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

1250 Test ride part 1

Post by Minty »

I had my first test ride today, only 2 hours or so. The conclusion was inconclusive! I am booked in again for a second longer test at the weekend. I think it might be the cost of the thing making me second guess, I don't want to mess up like it did 2 years ago when I bought the gs.

The main worry for me was that it would make the same horrifying road noise as the gs did, up through the forks. No noise at all, my FJR actually makes more noise!
I was expecting big things from the screen, it's good but I found mid way was about the best for me, fully up was very buffety. ST1300 Pan still the best for me.
The shift assist is miles better than the gs. I need to try harder with the clutch from 1st to 2nd, it was still a bit choppy. Any tips appreciated.
The ride quality, handling and brakes are very good, I'm more than happy with road, it's more firm than I was expecting. I didn't try dynamic.
So, overall, it is a nice bike and the ride home on the FJR really did show the benefits of the RT. I need the second ride just to ease my worries about pulling the trigger on such an expensive bike 🫣
I might get some flack for this but it wouldn't be the LE, there are things on the LE I just wouldn't need. It would be a base bike with a few options, but definitely the 719 brown seat. Its a shame they don't do gold wheels, I'm a bit of a tart for gold 😄

Paul.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: 1250 Test ride part 1

Post by DaveCly »

Well your half way there Minty, and don’t blame you having another test ride, but good job I didn’t have a test ride, I’d probably not have bought one 😂
After a week touring Wales, back in 2014, the week after I bought it, I still wasn’t convinced !
The rest’s history as they say, I’ve had one ever since, and probably clocked up just short of 80k on them.
Yes .. they are a bit agricultural, I’m sure the newer ones are a bit better, mines a 2016, but still love mine.

Good luck 👍
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 203 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Feck all wrong with a 16 plate :lol:
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

I've just done 2500 miles in Spain on mine, I done a similar trip last year on a K1600GA, and that was on the back of a 3000 mile trip on a HD EG in the States, so I've done a fair few miles on three big bikes in the last 2 years.

To me the original screen is too small, I fitter a larger one and have it most of the way up for a very good comfort bubble. You have to get to know the quick shifter, I was not convinced I'd use it after the first thousand miles, but with practise you get to know where it shifts smoothly, although I don't use it on the downshift, I've never found that smooth enough.

I don't find there to be much road noise TBH? There is n=more mechanical noise than the larger K1600, which is just a torque turbine compared to the RT, but it's also a lot heavier, thirstier, sorer on tires, and a real handful in a car park or tight switchbacks, all of which are fine on the RT even with a pillion.

I ride in Dynamic as I find the ride too soft when starting to speed up is using road, this is nothing to do with power, it' 100% suspension I'm doin it for, and another reason I would get the top spec bike, which will also be easier to sell on again BTW ;) You may not think you will need some of the other bits n pieces, but better to have them and not need them that to not have them once you have bought the bike - cruise control is great after thousands of miles over a short period, - not sure if that on the base bike for instance? Same for central locking and keyless, it just makes life easier - unlike the way the sat nav works with your phone :roll:

As for the wheels - Just get them blasted and powder coated gold, your only looking at a couple of hundred quid if you take them the wheels :cheers:

James
Panman40
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

I had an ST1300 pan for 16 years 2006 to 2022, I don’t do huge miles but I did like the ST, I was going to hang my boots up due to neck problems but wife and I decided to have a change instead :lol: , I have the 2019 1250rt, it does many things well and overall I don’t regret the change, it’s a little more difficult for the wife getting on pillion especially with the higher back end and wider boxes.
The one thing that bugs me is when the motors warm it’s a rattly thing on the left cylinder, I was out at the weekend in the car and pulled up alongside a gs1250 at a set of lights, I opened the window and his engine sounded very similar and that was a 24 plate.

Enjoy your test ride but personally I’d leave out the brown seat :lol:
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 242 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

The rattling sound is your bones Martin, you’re getting old like the rest of us!
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Steve398 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:11 am The rattling sound is your bones Martin, you’re getting old like the rest of us!
Absolutely Steve!!
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

Thanks for the replies.

I had my longer test ride yesterday, the first couple of hours were OK, getting to know the bike again then, after a tea break and a chat, I got back on and it just clicked! The way it corners and rides, it just seems to float underneath you, low speed handling is fantastic, I came across a closed road due to a car on its roof and u turned with room to spare. I'm still getting some dodgy shifts from 1st to 2nd with the clutch but that will come with time.

The ride home on the FJR really showed how much better the RT is, I'm not knocking the yamaha at all but, it really is a night and day difference, the RT is solid, quiet, more comfortable with more low down torque and at motorway its so smooth where FJR is buzzy and rattles like a 600!

I've not signed up yet, I did get a very good deal, I know this because I called the bmw dealer that sold me the gs two years ago to quote me and he pretty much had me over a barrel!

I do see where people are coming from regarding the le spec, I would be looking at another £1250 for the le over the standard + extras that I've specced. I'll give it some thought, I buy bikes outright, look after them and generally keep them a good few years. Steve at Marshall's was really very helpful in explaining the pros and cons of the standard/le, so no complaints there. He said it's like unicorns, they do exist but nobody has ever seen one 😆

So yes, I'm sold, just need to put pen to paper. I'm actually excited, at 52 years old!

Paul
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

The one thing that bugs me is when the motors warm it’s a rattly thing on the left cylinder, I was out at the weekend in the car and pulled up alongside a gs1250 at a set of lights, I opened the window and his engine sounded very similar and that was a 24 plate.

Mine sounds the same (2020) Panman, was in for its 12000 service and I asked them to look at, nothing wrong they all do that was the response. Once the warranty was finished the changed their view. Apparently there is a modified tensioner available for the left side, think they wanted about £150 for it, haven’t had it done yet. I think the old style is sized for a 17mm spanner and the new Is 19mm.
Panman40
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Gavj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:57 am The one thing that bugs me is when the motors warm it’s a rattly thing on the left cylinder, I was out at the weekend in the car and pulled up alongside a gs1250 at a set of lights, I opened the window and his engine sounded very similar and that was a 24 plate.

Mine sounds the same (2020) Panman, was in for its 12000 service and I asked them to look at, nothing wrong they all do that was the response. Once the warranty was finished the changed their view. Apparently there is a modified tensioner available for the left side, think they wanted about £150 for it, haven’t had it done yet. I think the old style is sized for a 17mm spanner and the new Is 19mm.
Oh, I presumed you already had the new left side tensioner ?, I’d go to a different dealer as I’m sure you could get that fitted for free out of warranty. It does help but not 100% eliminate it.
Minty
Great Britain

Post by Minty »

I'm not technically an owner yet, I've placed the order. Should be here some time in July.

I try to keep my bikes a while these days, it's just the farce with the gs that was a mistake 2 years ago, its still a lovely bike though.

This rt is hopefully going to be with me for a while so I've ordered it to the spec I want/need, not for the next owner 🫣

Shoot me down if you like, it's not the le! Imagine a white le but without TPMS, Alarm, Adaptive Headlight, and Enhanced Telephony. I figured, by the time I come to sell it on, the spec won't matter too much. Just look at the 1300 gs, the te spec isn't all that special, I would imagine there'll not be many of those specced the same, unlike the 1200/1250.
I've orderd 719 brown seats and Tubular Bars too.

Looking forward to it. I still can't get over how much smoother it is compared to my fjr.

Paul