General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
laughingboy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by laughingboy »

Hi all, just joined today and having a quick (very) look around the site. In the process of buying a 2005 red RT1200, depending upon negotiations. Never had anything to do with BMW, ridden mostly Honda and Triumph sports bikes, but recently had a quick short ride on an RT my lad rides for the volunteer group White knights, doing the blood donor runs. Impressed with the bike and more so by the way my lad has improved his pace since riding it.

I'm hoping for a decent result with negotiations on the RT and looking forward to a more relaxing ride position and enjoyable rides.

Chris.
Tomorrow's another day  :-)
stelyn

Re: Newbie

Post by stelyn »

Hi Chris,  welcome to the Forum,  the RT's are great Bikes,  view the comments posted by our `Guru's  Rtman10 & DaygloDavid   re buying the earlier model RT  Bikes , they  will know what to look out for, and can offer advice possibly on that particular years model. 
pm them  -  Enjoy.... ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

While I think about it I had a 2005 in silver.  The bike is still local to me and only on its second owner.  So far as I know its never lets him down.
As I'm sure you have noticed its fitted with electro servo brakes.  They are extremely effective but also extremely expensive to fix if they go wrong.  Being brakes they are very reliable so for you its a matter of condition, service history and mileage.
The system was  discontinued in Jan 2007 with everything else on the bike staying the same and everything continued to stay the same up until 2010.
There are many, many 1200RTs around being voted top touring bike for year after year.  So as its still mid winter take a good look round before deciding.  If you can, I would say go for a 2007 onwards.     
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote: I would say go for a 2007 onwards.   
Agreed [emoji106]
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Hey Chris,

Welcome and good luck with the new RT!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi Chris, welcome to the RT World.

Not had Sports Bikes myself, but did go from a Honda VFR (Sports Tourer) to my first RT in 2007, with no regrets.

IMO, an RT ridden well is a good match to most other Bikes out there.

Interesting that you are impressed with the bike your Lad rides for the White Knights, and more so by the way he has improved his pace since riding it.

Could that be because he has had some "Post Test Training" to ride the Blood Bike or something else.

Coincidentally, at the back end of last year, we did bump into a guy at a Café on the A19 near Shipton (York), he was quizzing us about buying a Red RT.

Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughingboy
Bike Model and Year: 2005 R1200RT
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by laughingboy »

Hi , just an up date. test rode the RT and liked it so much I've bought it. I took on board the comment about the brakes and noted they did have the electric servo brakes. I chatted to the lads in the workshop about the bike and it has been serviced by them since new, 1 owner who has had several RTs from them, so I felt quite comfortable with the up keep of the bike. I've chatted a few times with the Techs at York BMW and they do think the bike is excellent value and mechanically sound. Totally different riding style to the CBR :-)

Oddly enough DaygloDavid, there was a red RT in Robsons late last year which I'd seen but when I took the Mrs along to see it, they had just sold it. That must have been October time.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

Chris
Tomorrow's another day  :-)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

laughingboy wrote: Hi , just an up date. test rode the RT and liked it so much I've bought it.
Thanks for the comments, appreciated.
Chris
Well done,  enjoy your `new toy ' ,    post some photos when you get a chance      ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window