Metzelers Z8

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Levisp

Re: Metzelers Z8

Post by Levisp »

One of the reasons I use the back brake from 10 mph to stop is its smoother particularly with a pillion and with traditional front suspension stops the front fork dive. However the BMW doesn't have the front compression because of its Telelever suspension setup. Back brake braking is also useful on loose and slippery surfaces. However the front brake is the primary stopping tool.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As BMW have gone to the trouble of developing a computer controlled semi linked braking system I see  no reason to override it by just jumping on the rear brake.  Im sure there are situations when you only want to use the back brake, U-turns etc but in normal riding hardly ever.
The LC is too new for most of us to put big mileage on them and the rear brake is different from the last one but I cannot see them wearing any quicker than the old one.  On previous RTs I have seen 24K on the same rear pads and most if my riding is two up.  I suppose it all defends on your ridding style.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

24K on rear pads !! Blimey thats good. I'm sure BMWs fancy braking system is brill but sometimes habits good or bad are hard to break. However I do not "Jump" on the back brake, I use it very gently. Also I'm not accidentally braking because I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. Thats why I was surprised to see the wear rate I have. I did read in another forum that someone thought that with the semi active suspension that the computer applied occasional back brake to settle the bike under certain circumstances. Dynamic mode was suggested as the culprit. Personally I think its bullshit but who knows.
Last edited by Levisp on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The subject of using the rear brake, takes me back to a RoSPA Test in 2009.

The Examiner highlighted that I had a tendency to put my right foot down when stopping on the flat, (bringing the bike to a stop on the front brake).
I used my left foot whenever I was on an incline, (ready for a hill start). "This is the preferred technique for all occasions".

Since then, I have taken on-board this technique & find the bike is under better control, more stable & pillion friendly when coming to a final stop.

On my 2010 RT, the rear brake pads were replaced at 24,000 miles.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: The subject of using the rear brake, takes me back to a RoSPA Test in 2009.

The Examiner highlighted that I had a tendency to put my right foot down when stopping on the flat, (bringing the bike to a stop on the front brake).
I used my left foot whenever I was on an incline, (ready for a hill start). "This is the preferred technique for all occasions".

Since then, I have taken on-board this technique & find the bike is under better control, more stable & pillion friendly when coming to a final stop.
Not sure about that.  With the cook on board its always both left and right stabilisers down when stopping. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cleveland RoADAR - Bike Test, http://www.cleveland-roadar.co.uk/bike-test/

"The examiner will expect you to show proper use of the accelerator and brakes.

There will probably be at least one hill start on the test. You should always have the back brake covered when you are stationary, even on the flat, but you should show consideration for your machine by selecting neutral gear when stopped for long periods."

It could be interesting to know what the Examiner would make of "Hill Start Control" if fitted on your RT LC.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ah, got another problem now. Covering the foot brake would probably disengage the Hill Start Assist  Better stay well clear of the examiners.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hill start assist is banned !
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To show a brake light whilst stationary, obviously requires either the front or rear brake lever/pedal being applied.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Hill start assist is banned !
On what? Is this some rule that came out last year as I don't think any bike had such a system before March 2014.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: To show a brake light whilst stationary, obviously requires either the front or rear brake lever/pedal being applied.
It is as the back brake is solidly on until you start to pull away.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Rider's Manual R1200RT LC - Hill Start Control

Firmly pull and then release handbrake lever.

Telltale light for Hill Start Control appears in the display.

Hill Start Control is activated.

Pull handbrake lever again to switch off Hill Start Control.

Hill Start Control is deactivated automatically when the motorcycle pulls away.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Makes holding the bike on the foot brake a bit redundant I would suggest.  Works downhill and on the flat as well by the way. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hill start assist banned ! No just my little joke after reading the Cleveland RoADAR info.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thank God for that.  Iv already forgot how to stand still without it, as I have to get from A to B without a Nav V.