Front Paddock Stand

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Levisp

Front Paddock Stand

Post by Levisp »

Hi Folks

Does anybody know of a front paddock stand that will work with a RT LC bike on its centre stand. I have a paddock stand but it won't work because it tries to lift the front too high, making the back tyre touch the ground and then trying to lift the centre stand off the ground. What I'm after is something that just lifts the front an inch or so.

I already place an old plastic chopping board under the centre stand to protect the drive which lifts the bike a little but not enough for my front stand.

Have done a nerd search, plenty to choose from but no dimensions given so no point buying could just end up with something similar to what I already have.
guest2360

Re: Front Paddock Stand

Post by guest2360 »

Think your going to struggle.  I'll have look in in our workshops on Tuesday to see how they manage.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Don't know if this is any help, but I use a scissor jack & blocks of wood in conjunction with the centre stand to raise both wheels off the ground.

My 2012 RT is currently in the garage with both wheels off the ground using this method.
With the RT, I don't need blocks of wood & the jack is secured to the bottom of the engine with a bolt through the bash-plate mount.
This is how I support the bike to remove both wheels for tyre replacement.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks guys. I actually have a fancy hydraulic Abba Skylift which I can lift the bike for maintenance so have no need for the jack under the engine technique, but thanks for posting. The Skylift was expensive and so is used only in the garage. The reason for the front paddock stand was for use on the driveway when I wash the bike. Just makes washing the front wheel easier.

Thanks RTman10 for having a look.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The scissor jack under the engine method is also used on the driveway when I'm washing the bike, allows the front wheel to be rotated & turned easily.

Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks David I'll have another look.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Quick nerd search came up with https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5035920K like the flat lifting area. Could be the solution. Cheaper than a paddock stand.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks ideal, especially with the flat rubber saddle.

My guess would be that the Dealers would use both F & R Paddock Stands together.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2013 ... ock-stand/

MCN say "the front cannot be used on it's own".
Last edited by David. on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: Hi Folks

Does anybody know of a front paddock stand that will work with a RT LC bike on its centre stand. I have a paddock stand but it won't work because it tries to lift the front too high, making the back tyre touch the ground and then trying to lift the centre stand off the ground. What I'm after is something that just lifts the front an inch or so.

I already place an old plastic chopping board under the centre stand to protect the drive which lifts the bike a little but not enough for my front stand.

Have done a nerd search, plenty to choose from but no dimensions given so no point buying could just end up with something similar to what I already have.

I'm obviously too mechanically naive to get this one - but humour me...

Why would I need to solve this particular conundrum??

^-^ ^-^
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

[

Why would I need to solve this particular conundrum??

Beats me as well.

^-^ ^-^
[/quote]
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Because my friend I ride a lot in winter and being a little OCD like a clean bike, so when I get back from a ride, I clean the bike before putting it away. So far so good. However by now my bollocks are frozen so want to get the job done super quick. Now remember the OCD bit. If you want to clean the front wheel you need to rotate it to clean it properly, so it needs to be off the ground. I just want to clean it quicker. ;D
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: [size=78%]If you want to clean the front wheel you need to rotate it to clean it properly, so it needs to be off the ground. I just want to clean it quicker.[/size] ;D

but why can't you just push the wheel round, like I've been doing for years??
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sure you could but its not as quick. Spin wheel wash, rinse and dry. Just quicker.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

richardbd wrote:
but why can't you just push the wheel round, like I've been doing for years??
Yeah me too but each to his own. It wouldn't be the first time I have put my back out trying to rotate the front wheel for cleaning whilst on the centre stand !
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon two thirds of the wheel is accessible without moving it so one quick tug up and you can clean.the lot. As you say each to his own