MIRRORS

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Maz12

MIRRORS

Post by Maz12 »

I couldn't get used to the mirrors on my 12RT  so I put some bar mounted mirrors on..  They vibrate some at tick over but are fine otherwise and the view behind is vastly improved.
You guys who've had some time in the 14RT,  Do the 14 mirrors offer a similar (restricted) view like previous models or is the view improved?
Would you advise getting some more adapters and using my existing mirrors?  I'm only 5'8" if that makes a difference
Pope

Re: MIRRORS

Post by Pope »

I think the mirrors on the new RT are excellent.
They are positioned lower than the previous RT, so you get a clear view below the handlebars.
And no vibration on mine..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I will hold off getting the adaptors till iv had a spin on my 14,  whenever that may be
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

If anyone with a pre 2014 bike is interested I have a pair of  genuine BMW mirror adapters  ( £38 at `Nippy Normans' ) ,  will let them go at half price , see photo of one.    These merely replace the top  `section  of the existing' mounts.  You use the same torx bolts,  and screw in your mirrors ( 10mm stem which is standard size ) takes just minutes to change over.
Steve    8)

............NOW SOLD............  ;D
Attachments
mirroradapter.jpg
mirroradapter.jpg (520 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Last edited by stelyn on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
mayhaw20

Post by mayhaw20 »

Hello Gang, I have a 2005 R 1200 RT and do not like the Mirrors that came on the Bike.
I would love to find after market mirrors that stick up over handle bars. Seems like the stock mirrors
are too low and can't get good view without handle bars in the middle. Anybody run into this before?
Maybe some tips on what mirrors to buy........Thanks!!
mayhaw20
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On your RT there are holes on the lever mountings for mirrors. Many owners I know have fitted the mirrors off the R1500GS but even though they work well the fit is not quite right as one of the holes is too small and has to be drilled slightly.  The mirrors that fit perfectly are those from the same age K1200RS/GT The arms on these are moulded to fit the mountings and are sprung so they fold in. The part numbers for these end in 773 and 774
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
swegin

Post by swegin »

I also previously had a 2009 RT and installed the RS mirrors.  They fit perfectly with some slight modification into the preset holes in the control housings.

The 2015 does not have the convenient preset holes like my 09 had so the dealer used the GS mirrors and simple wrap around brackets to clamp mirrors to the bars.  Very easy install, very slick looking and mirrors dont create any problem with windscreen.  For me the added mirrors are more comfortable and get rid of those nasty blind spots.  They only slightly block the OEM mirrors as well.
Attachments
R12RTW with GS Mirrors 1.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I must admit I find the fitted mirrors near perfect and haven't noticed any blind spots. Do the mirrors you have fitted not foul the screen if it is down. 
swegin

Post by swegin »

If screen is all the way down and you push bar all the way one direction or the other, you get a slight bump.  You would never experience this riding since you (I) never get bars into a full push when in motion.

I had asked the Dealer the same question.  Here was the original picture he sent showing me that they do very slightly touch.  This has not been an issue to me yet and have not had to raise shield when taking off stand or wheeling around.

I have always ridden with bar mirrors and so its maybe just old habit but even after 5 years with RTs, i am much more comfortable with having that bar mirror to peak out of.  The OEM mirrors on the RT are great but having both personally gives me a better field of vision.
Attachments
R12RTW with GS Mirrors  2.jpg
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I don't like mirrors with restricted views or that vibrate at speed.

The ones on my new RT are probably the best I've ever had.  the only downside of them being mounted so low down is that I can't admire myself in them...
Pope

Post by Pope »

richardbd wrote: I don't like mirrors with restricted views or that vibrate at speed.

The ones on my new RT are probably the best I've ever had.  the only downside of them being mounted so low down is that I can't admire myself in them...

Made chuckle that.... :))

I also think the new RT mirrors are excellent..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Chad

Post by Chad »

I'm 5'11" and have found the mirrors on both pre & post '14 bikes to be pretty good. Both give a reflection of the end of the handlebar but that's not really a problem as I can still see all I need to see. One thing I have noticed on the LC however is that objects in the rear view seem to get very small very quickly...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad wrote: I'm 5'11" and have found the mirrors on both pre & post '14 bikes to be pretty good. Both give a reflection of the end of the handlebar but that's not really a problem as I can still see all I need to see. One thing I have noticed on the LC however is that objects in the rear view seem to get very small very quickly...
Non LC owners will tell you its the glass shape and nothing to do with your right wrist.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Chad wrote: One thing I have noticed on the LC however is that objects in the rear view seem to get very small very quickly...

Yes, i also get the same effect in my mirrors....which is a characteristic of the bike that i love..be[size=78%]  [/size]
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Has anyone tried the Riderscan mirror? .... Looks like a good way to help eliminate blind spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ebC_Uwj-I

Selling for about £43 on eBay
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.