Sena 20S

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
trichef1

Sena 20S

Post by trichef1 »

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sena 20S BT. After the purchase of a new r1200rt last week... I was intending to go with a BMW unit on a Schurberth, but just can't justify the purchase of a new helmet and BT system just to get the advantage of volume adjustment compatibility. So now i'm thinking i can just hold onto my Multitech and mount the Sena 20S system. It's a savings of about $900 USD!!
Any opinions would be appreciated.
toroil

Re: Sena 20S

Post by toroil »

First, sorry for my English. I've got Sena 20S for my new RT. The sound quality of the 20S is quite good if you connect it direct from Ipod or MP3 device. If connect from bike's sound system, the sound quality is unacceptable.
FYI. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/9 ... eview.html
Tor from Thailand
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you carry a pillion your Sena will not connect both of you to the bike. My advice, dump BT, fit a wired system. Much easier, cheaper and reliable and you will both hear everything in high quality stereo and never have to charge another battery pack or end up unpaired.    .
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
trichef1

Post by trichef1 »

RTman .. thx for the input. I'm not opposed to a wired system. I just moved from a Harley cruiser (Fatboy) to the RT, so the whole audio/communication/GPS thing is completely new to me. For some reason I just zeroed in on BT because it seemed like the newest technology, but after reading the posts and reviews of BT systems, I'm amazed what a pain in the ass they can be and when you consider the fact that the audio quality is really not great, you have to wonder if there's a better way. Sounds like a wired system may be the way to go. I spent some time reading up on the Autocom SPA system , do you have any experience with Autocom systems?
Would the devices (GPS, Radio) on the RT connect to the system via BT or do they have to be hard-wired?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All you need is the Autocom Logic unit, its available as a kit with two headsets and all the necessary connection cables. You can connect the whole thing to your audio unit with an Autocom cable No 2273 or 2275.  This give you and your pillion full access to everything the audio unit puts out. This includes prompts from the GPS so long as its a Garmin compatible unit (660) or the BMW Nav IV or V.  The wheel will control volume for both headsets.  You will only need BT, using an Autocom Dongle, if you want to connect your phone.  The SPA unit is larger and more expensive but can be squeezes in. 
NilTime

Post by NilTime »

G'day TriChef.

I purchased a Sena 20S to g along with the new RT.  The main reason for my purchase over other BT headsets is that is comes ready to be able to accept your own choice of ear phones, rather than using supplied helmet ear pieces.

I paired it up easily with the bike  - in this order - Sena to RT, Sena to Nav V, and then iPhone to Nav V. It performs very well.  As for sound quality, it does not sound quite as good as a wired system, but I found by using a pair of good quality ear phones, in conjunction with adjusting the bass and treble levels on the RT audio meant that quite an acceptable sound quality was attained. 
The phone capability is also very good.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

NilTime wrote: G'day TriChef.

I purchased a Sena 20S to g along with the new RT.  The main reason for my purchase over other BT headsets is that is comes ready to be able to accept your own choice of ear phones, rather than using supplied helmet ear pieces.

I paired it up easily with the bike  - in this order - Sena to RT, Sena to Nav V, and then iPhone to Nav V. It performs very well.  As for sound quality, it does not sound quite as good as a wired system, but I found by using a pair of good quality ear phones, in conjunction with adjusting the bass and treble levels on the RT audio meant that quite an acceptable sound quality was attained. 
The phone capability is also very good.
You don't seem to be using it rider to pillion.  If you did You would discover it is impossible to connect the second unit to either  the audio unit or the Nav.
NilTime

Post by NilTime »

That is very true - I do not need to use it for a pillion, so it meets my needs admirably.  :)