taller wind screen for rt?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Re: taller wind screen for rt?

Post by Levisp »

Well after 3 days of riding in the cold I have decided to buy the Wunderlich screen. I do not want the screen for its extra height but rather the extra width and those wings. Hoping this will take off the wind blast off the tops of my arms and shoulders. Yonkyo on the UKGSer forum gives it a good review, so we will see if it works. Lets hope its not an expensive mistake. I will keep the OEM for summer use.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I have the BMW comfort screen.  It's no taller than the stock one but it is wider and makes a huge difference to arms/shoulders in terms of comfort and warmth.

I'm 6', 32" inside leg and ride with the seat in the "high" position.  I reckon this is the perfect screen solution.  Any taller and I'd be looking through it and then I might as well be in the car!

;-)
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

richardbd wrote: I have the BMW comfort screen.  It's no taller than the stock one but it is wider and makes a huge difference to arms/shoulders in terms of comfort and warmth. I'm 6', 32" inside leg and ride with the seat in the "high" position.  I reckon this is the perfect screen solution.  Any taller and I'd be looking through it and then I might as well be in the car! ;-)

Thanks for the clarification that the comfort screen is no taller than the OEM screen, despite the BMW description. At 6'6" I'm still looking for a taller screen.
(Could you measure from the bottom tip vertically to the centre top edge of the screen, along with from the centre of one of the lower mounting bolts to the dead centre of the top edge please
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

7vwh wrote:
Thanks for the clarification that the comfort screen is no taller than the OEM screen, despite the BMW description. At 6'6" I'm still looking for a taller screen.
(Could you measure from the bottom tip vertically to the centre top edge of the screen, along with from the centre of one of the lower mounting bolts to the dead centre of the top edge please

Afraid I'm away from home for a few days but i'll try to remember when I get back...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's very odd that they are the same height.  The standard screen, just measured by me is 610mm high.  BMW measure them from top to bottom in its centre.  They state in their accessories list that the comfort screen is taller and wider.  RealOEM gives a height of 681mm. I cant see them getting it wrong by 71mm. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: That's very odd that they are the same height.  The standard screen, just measured by me is 610mm high.  BMW measure them from top to bottom in its centre.  They state in their accessories list that the comfort screen is taller and wider.  RealOEM gives a height of 681mm. I cant see them getting it wrong by 71mm.

I'll measure...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well the Wunderlich screen arrived today. Straight forward to put on same as OEM. Quality looks good with nicely finished edges. When I first saw this screen I was not sure whether I would like those wings but it was worth the gamble because it looks the dogs dangles on the bike. The design follows the angular shape of the clear winglets on the top the nose fairing which doesn't show up very well in pictures. So the big question is has it cured the wind blast on the upper arms and shoulders and the answer is yes. I'm 6ft 1in and have the high seat option on the high setting. With the OEM screen I usually rode with it half up looking over the top. It gave me a clean blast of air on my helmet but there was a large gap between those clear fairing winglets and the screen. This gave me the wind blast on the upper arms and shoulders which has only given me grief with the colder temperatures. The new screen winglets combined with the extra width has blocked this gap and so has cured the problem. Its a tall screen and as such have it about a third up compared to half up on the OEM screen. Fully up I'm looking through it cannot look over the top. Too high in this position for me. So far happy with the purchase. Tomorrow going for a ride with the Mrs so it will be interesting to see if she feels any difference.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Im getting in on this a little late but Ive had great experiences with ZTechnic VStream windshields on my RTs and GTL. They are now available for the 2014 RT Wethead.

Great in the rain, just a bit warm in the summers here in the south. Ann likes the unit as well. She does not get buffeting. Im 5' 8" tall and use the medium screen but they make a tall one as well. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Just come back from a 150 mile ride and Mrs BMPete thinks the screen is a great improvement. She reckons there is less wind blast on her shoulders and less on her helmet when she looks over my shoulders. I reckon its a little quieter. Big thumbs up all round.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

A good recommendation then Levisp
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well yes I think so. I only hesitate slightly because what suits me may not necessarily suit someone else. I think the OEM screen is pretty good, apart from the wind blast on my shoulders. Now this annoying wind blast could be the result of me being 6ft 1in with the high seat option on the high setting. Someone not as tall with maybe the low seat option may not have this problem. I also found that riding in the rain the upper arms and shoulders of my jacket got very wet. I was expecting slightly better upper body weather protection from the RT. This screen should solve this problem. Next time it chucks it down will have to go for a ride and see if it works. Looks good too.
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I'm waiting for richardbd to return from his travels and measure his comfort screen before I commit. I'm 6'6", high seat, high setting!!!
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

7vwh wrote: I'm waiting for richardbd to return from his travels and measure his comfort screen before I commit. I'm 6'6", high seat, high setting!!!

I'm due back in London late Thursday - just in time to head down to Cornwall for a weekend's riding!
7vwh
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

No worries Richard
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

7vwh wrote: No worries Richard

OK - so I dug around in the back of the loft to find the original screen.  I was right - my "comfort" screen is EXACTLY the same height as the original (61cm).  All the difference is in the width.

I'm happy though.  Any taller and I'd be looking through it and I hate that plus the difference it makes to arm/shoulder buffeting and wind-noise is huge.  As before, I remain 6' with a 32" in-seam and I ride with the seat in the "high" position.