Time for new tyres soon

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Levisp

Re: Time for new tyres soon

Post by Levisp »

beemerbaz wrote: I can't put it off any longer, I have 9000 miles on my Metzler slicks !!
Am tempted now to go to Bridgestones 023 GT on the recommendation of the dealer. I know £290 fitted might sound a lot to some but I do prefer the safety of a dealer especially when the bike is still under warranty.

Someone is going to say that they are not OEM fitment  ;)  I replaced my Contis at 6300 miles but could have stretched them to 7000 miles. Replaced with Z8 so lets see if they do as well as yours. I was tempted with PR4 but some don't like them and others have said they wear out quick. I would go with the Bridgestones so you can test them for me :)
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

Levisp wrote:
Someone is going to say that they are not OEM fitment  ;)  I replaced my Contis at 6300 miles but could have stretched them to 7000 miles. Replaced with Z8 so lets see if they do as well as yours. I was tempted with PR4 but some don't like them and others have said they wear out quick. I would go with the Bridgestones so you can test them for me :)
If I remember the next time I go out to the bike I will take some photos of what is left of the tread. My local Motorrad dealer recommend the 023 GT as well as the Road Pilot 4 GT but the Pilot 4 is £60 dearer, a difference that I can't understand. Always had Bridgestones on my Blackbirds previously and they did me well so will opt for them, hopefully next week if there is a dry day.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

I had been thinking about giving the PR'4s a try for a while now,  having in the past used the Bridgestone 023's  and managed to pick up a set of PR'4s  at a good price from Michelin at the recent MCN  Bike Show in London.  If it transpires they not worth all the media hype they have been getting, then  next year I'll be back on the 023's.  Will let you know how they fair .    ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Budman

Post by Budman »

I had always been a Z8 guy on each of my bikes. I couldnt get them one time and put on a set of PR4GTs. There was a pretty significant difference in feel and mileage. Ill stick with the PR4GTs till something better comes along. The Z8s and PR4GTs are about the same cost here.
Since that fairly tin patch of rubber is all thats keeping me up Im not going to scrimp on tires. Kinda like helmets, what is your head worth?

Just my thoughts,

Bud 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Bud what was the milage difference between the Z8s and PR4 GTs.
Budman

Post by Budman »

On my GTL I had Z8s from the factory and they lasted about 5800 miles. The PR4s got 9700. On my RT I got 10,000. Much of my riding is two up. A good friend and riding companion rides one up all the time and got 12,500 in her Iron Butt National Parks tour last year on her 2012RT.

She rode mostly interstates but keeps the bike loaded and checks tire pressure regularly. 
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Budman wrote: The PR4s got 9700.  On my RT I got 10,000. Much of my riding is two up. A good friend and riding companion rides one up all the time and got 12,500 in her Iron Butt National Parks tour last year on her 2012RT.
  That's encouraging news Budman,  glad I picked up those PR 4's now,  just got to get them fitted      ;) 
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks Budman those are good milages from PR4 GTs.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Interesting, I was at a Local Friendly BMW Dealer today, discussing tyres & was told that PR4's don't last very long & go out of shape quickly.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaygloDavid wrote: Interesting, I was at a Local Friendly BMW Dealer today, discussing tyres & was told that PR4's don't last very long & go out of shape quickly.

I've heard similar. PR2 and 3 always got great reviews but the PR4 get mixed reviews. To be honest I think the latest touring tyres are all awesome. For me its now down to longevity.
Budman

Post by Budman »

Ive never had a moments trouble with a PR4. The riders in the local club like them as well. Riders on other forums seem to like them or hate them there is no middle. I can just say from my experiences they have been great tires. When I bought my bike one had Metezlers and the other had PR4s. Other than that they were identical. I picked the one with the PR4s. Ann and I will be doing a 6500 mile trip this summer and Im sure the tires will last.

If Im wrong, Ill certainly let everyone know and then see about mounting the Z8s again.

I think tire opinions are very different and some people are very passionate about the subject. I can only tell you of my experience with them.       
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

Is anyone running Bridgestone T30's on their bikes?  I had them on my last bike and they were excellent.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ch00 wrote: Is anyone running Bridgestone T30's on their bikes?  I had them on my last bike and they were excellent.
I notice that Bridgestone say they will be factory fit on the S1000X which is due out in June.  That's a lightweight bike compared to the RT. I couldn't find any chart showing bikes so I'm not sure the tyre world have the correct wall strength. I once fitted a Z8 with an M rated wall instead of C. It fell apart after 600 miles so its an important consideration.         
Ch00

Post by Ch00 »

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/search-results-bike/?model=R%201200%20RT%20R%2012%20T

They will fit and work provided that you use the GT version!

beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

A nice shiny pair of 023 GT,s fitted today to replace my 9000 mile Metzler's,

Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT