Weather protection or new boots?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Weather protection or new boots?

Post by richardbd »

I read the "weather protection" thread and was sceptical about the benefits - partly because I worry that the extra in-fill panels make the RT look like a Silver Wing.

However...

Last Sunday I rode 300 miles from Cornwall to London in a biblical rain storm and my three-year old Daytona Roadstar GTX boots let me down for the first time. Both leaked at the heel, just above the "bellows", where the reflective patches are.

Now I can't help wondering whether the weather protection kit might stop that happening again.

Thoughts?
guest2360

Re: Weather protection or new boots?

Post by guest2360 »

The look was what worried me but having it all fitted for some weeks now you soon realises it finishes the bike off.  The left hand back panel is the only one that's really noticeable as it hides most of the shaft.  How effective is it.  No idea, haven't been out in the rain yet.  Off to Austria in May so I will know then for sure.   
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: The look was what worried me but having it all fitted for some weeks now you soon realises it finishes the bike off.  The left hand back panel is the only one that's really noticeable as it hides most of the shaft.  How effective is it.  No idea, haven't been out in the rain yet.  Off to Austria in May so I will know then for sure. 

RTman - how long did the panels take to fit?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

About an hour.  They are a bit fiddly to slot in so you need to follow the instruction on which way to push and pull. There are 2 drilled holes on the centre stand mounts that take bolts to hold the front two panels on. On mine I had to shorten one of the bolts as the thread didn't go all the why through .
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: About an hour.  They are a bit fiddly to slot in so you need to follow the instruction on which way to push and pull. There are 2 drilled holes on the centre stand mounts that take bolts to hold the front two panels on. On mine I had to shorten one of the bolts as the thread didn't go all the why through .

Hmmm...

Sounds a dealer job to me!