Cylinder Protection

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Budman

Cylinder Protection

Post by Budman »

I just installed Machineartmoto X-Head LC Cylinder Protection on my 2014.They went on very easily and only took about 15 minutes to install both. They seem to be very well made and offer good protection in the event of a drop.

I got them from Revzilla for $189. Free shipping.

Ill try to post a picture.
Attachments
IMG-20150303-00301.jpg
guest2360

Re: Cylinder Protection

Post by guest2360 »

Same idea as the BMW ones which are stainless steel with rubber inserts. Lot cheaper though.  Don't know if there is a supplier this side of the pond or if shipping prices would make them too expensive here.     
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There you go.  That's about £70 less than the BMW ones, but they are only plastic.
Budman

Post by Budman »

I have used the plastic BMW protection on previous RTs. They worked quite well in tip overs. Once scratched they could be easily buffed out. These from MotoArt cover more area and are much more substantial with an inner heavy plastic buffer.
I think they look good too. Its all about personal preferences I suppose. Hopefully I wont have a chance to test them. Kind of like my tire plugger. I dont ever want to use it again but if I do its there.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Not sure I'd trust plastic ones.  I put a hole straight through the cylinder head cover on a GS when I dropped it on the BMW ORS course.

Metal guards would probably have saved it; plastic ones...?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 12.49.22.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 12.49.22.png
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: Not sure I'd trust plastic ones.  I put a hole straight through the cylinder head cover on a GS when I dropped it on the BMW ORS course.

If your not moving plastic BMW or otherwise seem to do the job. Any forward  movement and they are useless.  The LC  BMW ones feel and look sturdy bits of kit.  I will do my best not to put them to the test.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Not sure I'd trust plastic ones.  I put a hole straight through the cylinder head cover on a GS when I dropped it on the BMW ORS course.

[/quote]

oops !!,  hopefully not to expensive ?        :-X
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window