General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
SAL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT/2016 R1200GS
United States of America

Post by SAL »

Hi Folks:
Im new to your forum and about to pull the trigger on an 07 Rt. Ive got some questions that have probably been addressed so I appreciate your patience in advance.
First question is whether anyone knows what paint will match the silver on the valve covers. The bike Im buying has some scratching and I have to believe it can simply be sanded and repainted. My local dealer could not give me any direction on this.
Second question is whether an OEM  replacement rear seat cover can be purchased rather than having to buy entire seat. The bike Im buying has a tear on rear seat.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
SAL
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie

Post by David. »

In answer to your second question, looking at RealOEM, there is not a replacement BMW seat cover listed.

Companies like Coverall (Stockton-On-Tees), http://www.coverall-pvc.co.uk/ offer services including seat recovering, have had my XJ650 done by them.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi SAL, and welcome to the Forum.    Have a search on Ebay have seen some replacement RT covers there, but you have to then re-staple them on,  this Link details one of them......  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... =&_sacat=0
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For the Valve Covers, a "Google Search" reveals that the likes of Wurth Silver Wheel Paint & Clear Lacquer may do the trick.

Not too sure how the paint would stand up to the heat of the engine, the Valve Covers were probably originally Powder Coated.

step2534

Post by step2534 »

Sal  Personally I would get seat professionally re covered.  I had a low seat that someone had re covered , looked a bit of a mess underneath where the stales were.  Ive had a couple of front seats done in past cost about £55/60 and they looked as good as new

Re valve covers, maybe a silver engine paint and then lacquered  after a light rub down.  I think as DaygloDavid says originally they would be powder coated  That in itself is not a expensive job, bearing in mind a alloy wheel is about £30 so realistically probably £20/25 should do the covers and a good powder coater will mask it up that well that there will be no cleaning off afterwards
SAL
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT/2016 R1200GS
United States of America

Post by SAL »

Thanks for the input.
I spoke to a BMW wrench who advises duplicolor makes a silver that is a perfect match to the original. It apparently is same as GM silver in Duplicolor's catalogs.
When I get bike and repair the valve color I will try and post a picture of the finished project.
Interestingly, at the dealership in my area, A&S, they used to carry silver spray touch up paint for frame, wheels and engine parts. No Longer. I have learned that the BMW part number for the paint is no longer available for California purchase. Go figure.
On the seat I have found plenty of used rear seats on EBAY and Beemer Boneyard. My sense is that buying a good quality used seat will be the way to go.
SAL