Recent purchase 11 plate RT1200 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Moretti

Recent purchase 11 plate RT1200 RT

Post by Moretti »

Just purchased an R1200RT to head for warmer climes very soon, but need advice on where to purchase a tank bag to fit existing rails, do they all clunk around the shaft area when cold and what if any are the best top boxes to fit, it came with panniers. Would appriciate the knowledge, many thanks
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Recent purchase 11 plate RT1200 RT

Post by David. »

The BMW Tank Bag is a great piece of kit, just clips on/off the rails with ease, no straps or zips etc.

Have used a Givi Top Case with an adapter plate but prefer the BMW Top Case, the key can be matched, therefore only one key for the ignition & all the cases.

It probably depends on your budget, they aren't cheap.
Budman

Post by Budman »

IF you have a 2011 give a look to the Touratech Flat Bag. I had great luck with it.

I agree with Dave, I really like my BMW Top Case.

Bud
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Touratech Tank Bag looks reasonable & is probably somewhere near half the price of a BMW one.

Once the adapter kit is fitted to the tank rails, it looks reasonably user friendly, just can't quite work out from the instructions how the front locking connector works.

http://shop.touratech.co.uk/streetline- ... rettyPhoto

I had a Givi V46 & mounting plate, again, likely to be a lot less than the BMW Top Case.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid wrote: The BMW Tank Bag is a great piece of kit, just clips on/off the rails with ease, no straps or zips etc.
Hi Moretti, welcome to the forum -  DaygloDavid is spot on,  I have the BMW bag and  can recommend it,  plenty of storage and a clear top section for maps ect....... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Hi Moretti, a second hand topbox will cost £300-£350, will obviously incur a key problem, does it have one and if so you end up with two keys for the bike, or the cost of replacing the lock. A new topbox on this site, www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk is around £400 odds mark with lock. Took my new box and lock into Coopers Sunderland who fitted the lock for £15. sorted!! A new box priced at the dealer is £520. Seems a good result...
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Givi E193 Plate fits a 2011 RT, http://old.itlcanada.com/internal2/inst ... 76e193.pdf, approx. £50.

A V46 Top Case from Amazon is currently less than £140,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/V46N-Givi-V46-T ... vi+top+box.

Givi also do an optional backrest.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

If you have a top case & panniers do you really need a tank bag? I've toured Germany every year for years and years for 7- 10 days and have never needed more storage. If you know where your going & plan carefully you'll probably be fine with the rigid luggage alone- the BMW RT top case is huge. Re the lock, the barrel can be removed & the tumblers matched & aligned to your existing key quite easily. I made a crude tool to remove the lock using a screwdriver, paper clip & duck tape. Works a treat ! The only problem with the bmw top case is the cost. If not having matching luggage isn't an issue, buy a GIVI & save yourself a few quid. Where are you thinking of travelling to?