MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by David. »

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's are 1 of 3 tyres recommended by BMW for the LC RT, the other 2 being Continental Road Attack 2GT & Metzeler Roadtec Z8.

My only experience of Michelin PR's is the Original (PR1) which was fitted by default when I got caught out in Scotland with a Metzeler Z6 rear down to the cords.
The PR1 seemed to be wearing better than the Z6 before I Part Ex'd the Bike & I liked the tread pattern across the width of the tyre, allowing monitoring of tread depth in the centre.

The PR2 is recommended for my Twin Cam but not available in version code "B" for the rear, therefore, I may be looking at PR3's or PR4's if I go for Michelin.

Michelin claim the PR4 is a far superior tyre to it's predecessors, http://moto.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michel ... -road-4-gt, lasting 20% longer than the PR3.

I would appreciate any feedback & comments on Michelin Pilot Road 1, 2, 3 or 4's, thanks.
stelyn

Re: MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT

Post by stelyn »

I picked up a set of PR4's at the recent London Bike Show and aim to have them fitted next  week,  so will be a  short while before I can provide any feedback on them,  however a couple of friends already have them and say they are brilliant !!    ( hope they are right  )  noticeably less `road noise' and better grip  ::)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hi Steve, what tyres have you currently got on your RT & why are you changing to PR4's.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi David,  the Metzeler Z8's , got this Bike only last October with them on,  rear was  well `squared' off.  On the last 3 Bikes owned,  I've used Bridgestones and generally  liked them,  apart that,  they only  seemed to last  around the 6.5k mark.  These  current Z8's  seem to me to generate some `road noise'  and their grip cornering  is I think somewhat suspect albeit they are worn and of course could also be part my riding technique  + I accept you have to factor in differing road surface and weather  conditions.  I've never used Michellins so I suppose its just  a question of giving them a shot.    If it transpires they not good for me  then I'll probably go back to Bridgestones or look at what else is available on the market.    At the Bike show the only `good'  cash deal I could get  at the various  Tyre Stands was at the Michellin  one,  plus a couple of fellow Riders gave the thumbs up  that these were good. 
( theirs being - Honda Pan European & BMW 2010 RT ) .    Only time will tell as they say  " you pay your money, you take a chance"
Will let you know how they fair, as off to France for a couple of days , then again for a weeks tour in May,      ;)
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

David,  just noticed in your Tyre Poll how the PR4's are giving the Z8's a close call,  so perhaps the reality is there's little between them other than personal choice and price  ?        ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Michelin state, "The new MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 GT tyre has been successfully homologated on BMW R 12000 RT and will equip 40% of its new models."

Is this why PR4's are heading the Poll, or are folks switching to them from other makes (or PR's) for some reason.

It must be true, the PR4 is currently at 37.5% in the Poll.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weston

Post by weston »

I had PR 3s on my K1600 and really liked them so I put them on my Guzzi too. 
Now I have PR4s on my new RT and they continue to be excellent sport riding tires and very controlled in the wet.

I don't have enough miles on the 4s yet to offer a report on durability but I do tend to trust Michelin. So if they say they are more long lasting than the 3s, I'm inclined to believe that....but I will verify.

For me at least, it's been all thumbs up though I've not tried Pirelli Angels or Dunlop Road Smarts which I understand from some guys who run them are both worthy alternatives to the PR line.

Weston
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi weston, what pressures are you running these PR4's on...... :)
weston

Post by weston »

Stelyn,

I have stuck to the BMW recommended pressures of 36 front and 42 rear riding solo and have never had reason to change. I might try a little less if I do a track day when the snow decides to disappear here in New England, but I haven't gone on the track with this bike...yet.

And just to mention it,  I rarely ride two-up so I really can't offer meaningful feedback on the BMW recommended pressures for that.

Weston
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Thanks Weston ........ ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MICHELIN  Pilot Road 4 GT & PR3 for comparison.

Image Image
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

When I first saw the PR3's on my twin cam I thought they were rain tyres because of the 'excessive' horizontal water grooves. Consequently I was a little concerned about how they would handle dry corners. Within one run out to Hawes I was totally reassured. They instilled so much confidence. When I went to Germany we left Heidleburge in torrential rain heading for Bamburg on a combination of fast A roads and Autobahns. I was 2-up & full luggage, the rain was relentless, spray coming up of the road about 18 inches & yet I had total confidence in the tyres & grip. No twitching when crossing white lines etc. no sliding about, nothing. Just 100% grip. Mates behind later commented on how I cut an almost dry line though the rain, (and how they tried to ride alone my track!). I was totally sold on these tyres from then on.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Michelin claim the PR4 is a far superior tyre to it's predecessors, http://moto.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michel ... -road-4-gt.
Hopefully the PR4 is an improvement on the PR3, I wasn't impressed when following a guy on PR3's, his rear tyre gave way & the back end stepped out on a fairly low speed corner.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Now done nearly 2000  miles on the PR4s  ( not GT' version )  and they are great, better grip and handling,  glad I ditched the Z8'S for these....... ;)
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Hopefully the PR4 is an improvement on the PR3, I wasn't impressed when following a guy on PR3's, his rear tyre gave way & the back end stepped out on a fairly low speed corner.
Wow! I take it you knew this person well and had all the data on the back tyre: type of rider, miles clocked on tyre, any track days, wet/dry, loaded, bad cornering and required rider input to make corrective action. David I have always viewed your comments as ones to be trusted, but come on!