Biker Watchdog

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Biker Watchdog

Post by David. »

Based on the facts that Allan Jefferies supplied the bike from new, have completed all services to date & the mileage that the bike has covered since it's last service, they were willing to be flexible about the next service, whilst still upholding the Used Bike Warranty.

Cooper Sunderland have offered a discount on the service cost, therefore might give them another chance, as they are only 1/2 an hour up the A19.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The service schedule on all RTs is 6000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. I always stick to that irrespective of how many miles I have done in a year if I don't get it to 6000.    A dealer allowing you to go outside these limits is ignoring what the manufacture has stipulated. I wonder why.. 
Pope

Post by Pope »

I can recommend Dick Lovett Motorrad, Bristol.

Nothing but great quality service and friendly bike enthusiast staff.

They even do all the servicing and work on my Ducati too...
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dick Lovett pulled me out of the sh1t last year when on a 4 day trip to Lands End & back.

My bike failed to start on day 2 in Bristol, AutoAid recovered the bike & Dick Lovett dropped everything to fit a new battery to get me going again,
couldn't thank them enough for saving my holiday.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cooper Sunderland have offered an Annual Service, which is basically an oil & filter change for £50 (labour only, already got oil & filter),
I'll probably get it done for my peace of mind & to keep the job right, book stamped etc.

Perhaps Allan Jefferies have more faith in BMW reliability & their own service/maintenance abilities than BMW (UK) do.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I'd be careful with Coopers Sunderland Dave. As I mentioned in my previous posting their service department have tried to riff me a number of times. For example, I booked a bike in for a warranty repair, they said oh your mot is due in a couple of weeks, why not book in then & we'll do the repair and the MOT. I took their advice yet when they did the MOT they didn't do the warranty repair. When I challenged them about it, they said I would have to pay because the bike is now a day out of warranty. I was livid. I could go on with several examples but I trust you get the picture. Garages make next to nothing in labour when they do warranty work....
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

That  is  not  good....... ???
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks Chad, I've had a good chat with Lisa Darklings (Service Manager) & made her aware that between 2007 & 2010 I'd had some less than satisfactory experiences at Coopers.

I'm prepared to give them another chance, there have been some staff changes & hopefully some attitude changes too.

I've agreed a scope of work & a cost, on this occasion it's a straight forward Annual Service.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Took the RT to Cooper BMW Sunderland this morning to have the Timing Cover replaced under Warranty, (slightly corroded).

The work requires the oil to be drained out & replaced, therefore waited until the bike was due an Oil & Filter change.

Was told "that might be a problem, we don't have any sump drain plug washers", just as well I had supplied the oil, filter & O ring.
Chad

Post by Chad »

DaygloDavid wrote: Took the RT to Cooper BMW Sunderland this morning to have the Timing Cover replaced under Warranty, (slightly corroded).

The work requires the oil to be drained out & replaced, therefore waited until the bike was due an Oil & Filter change.

Was told "that might be a problem, we don't have any sump drain plug washers", just as well I had supplied the oil, filter & O ring.
Something as fundamental as drain plug washers & they run out of them?! Unbelievable. I don't suppose the laptop mechanics have heard of annealing the old ones... It's a pity the Mechanic wasn't on annual leave- you could have done the whole job yourself & just paid them the elevated price for that all important book stamp
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Chad wrote:Something as fundamental as drain plug washers & they run out of them?! Unbelievable.
The best thing about it was, they actually billed me for a washer which I had already supplied.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Haha. Good to hear they haven't changed at Coopers!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:Took the RT to Cooper BMW Sunderland this morning to have the Timing Cover replaced under Warranty, (slightly corroded).
I first raised this issue with Cooper Sunderland when the Bike was nearly 3 years old. They took some photos & submitted the evidence to BMW Warranty Services.
BMW offered to replace the Timing Cover as part of their "Goodwill Policy". BMW paid for the Part at £182 & I paid for the Labour, plus a Shaft Seal & Sealing Compound at a total £137.76.

(Although the Bike was under a "Used Bike Warranty" at the time, Engine Casings are excluded, unless damaged by a covered part.)
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I got my RTLC, new, from Park's Motorrad in East Kilbride.  It has been back for a warranty replacement of the swing arm and bevel box (failing paint system), a couple of services and a general chat about the noisy gear change.
The warranty service was superb and they turned the bike around in a day, once the parts arrived from BMW.  The services have all been trouble free, with my choice of loan bike and a quick turnaround in the workshop.  The work seems to be to a high standard and the prices are not too eye watering, for BMW anyway!
When I was back to see about the clunky gearbox, they let me have free use of there demo fleet of boxers to compare them to mine.
The dealership is always friendly, helpful & efficient.  When I was thinking about buying the bike and finally purchasing it, the sales team were very good as well.  Not pushy at all and very willing to talk through what I wanted and how we could get there with a deal that was agreeable to both parties.  This attitude, more than anything, was why I ended up at Parks rather than Motorrad Central in Edinburgh.

Long may this continue!