To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Chad

Re: To ACF50 or not to ACF50

Post by Chad »

I agree Livisp, considering the premium we pay for these 'high end' bikes, I do feel the quality could be much better. I've never yet managed to totally prevent corrosion on my previous bikes and some of them weren't even used during winter months and all were kept in a heated garage. By comparison, two of my riding buds have Honda's. We go to the same places, in the same weather. One bike is kept in a shed, one in a garage, neither are heated, and neither bike was ever cleaned as thoroughly as mine. Annoyingly, it was my BMW(s) that had the corrosion on the engine, front fork stanchions and final drive casing!! What is Honda doing that Motorrad isn't?!
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Leaf blower for drying is the only way to go! I use Meguiar's marine grade washing liquid too, its less harsh and does a great job (http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/). I also use their minute wax (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/p ... -quik-wax/) after each washing and once a year I apply some Auto Glym polish (http://www.autoglym-canada.com/products ... n-polish-2). We have a lot, and I mean a lot, of bugs in western Canada and most of them are BIG! :-)
marc.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm with you.  Lots of water, bit of car shampoo and a Leaf Blower.  I give it an occasionally wax polish and put some wax spray on non stainless fasteners once a year. I have now owned BMW bikes for 19 straight years and never had any corrosion issues.   
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I don't have any corrosion either and have ridden twice every week during the winter. However I do wash the bike after every ride and blow dry. ACF50 with a brush only parts I cannot wash such as exhaust valve. Paint work, screen and wheels are waxed. Bilt Hamber Auto-Balm is a high quality wax with corrosion inhibitors. I use only a true wax not products like Auto Glym which is a polish and wax in one and so contain abrasive particulars. Wax is non abrasive, brilliant on the screen.

My point is that I don't treat the car in the same way for it to stay good. Yes I wash it maybe once a month and wax twice a year and thats it. Bikes are just too delicate for our climate.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

I'll have to try and source some all wax and thanks for he tip on this and the corrosion inhibitors.
marc.
Chad

Post by Chad »

[quote author=Levisp link= Bilt Hamber Auto-Balm is a high quality wax with corrosion inhibitors.

Auto Balm is a very good product. Independant research available on the Internet has shown how effective this is compared to conventional wax-polish by placing 2 pieces of metal in a container of salt water. One coated with auto balm, the other with wax/polish. The results were very, very impressive. It is especially good on chrome, but if used on older paintwork it's probably wise to polish the paintwork first with Ferecla G3, or if you are a perfectionist, wet polishing clay, as the balm doesn't polish/remove minor marks.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Chad Autobalm does contain fillers and so will mask minor swirl marks. It really is a great product providing you apply it according to the instructions on the Bilt Hamber website.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have arranged a Home Visit from AYB for the beginning of November.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

It's a shame but to my knowledge we don't have a AYB or something similar here in France or if anyone knows different let me know, cheers in advance.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Spencert231 wrote: It's a shame but to my knowledge we don't have a AYB or something similar here in France or if anyone knows different let me know, cheers in advance.

Spencer if you can take the fairings off and have the time do it yourself. Just brush on a small amount on anything you think might corrode. Just don't try spraying using their spray cans. If you do it will just make a mess and apply far too much. Do the French use salt on their roads ?
Last edited by Levisp on Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Thanks Levisp yes the French use a grit not sure if it's a salt? I have a couple of big jobs to do around the field which is my priority at the moment. When the time is right I am going to give the bike a good clean strip the panels of air blast with my Airforce Master Blaster and do as you say brush on the ACF50. I may even take some pics of the stages of where I find the most grime or road kill, but will report back.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Another BMW Dealer recommends ACF-50, http://jefferies.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmai ... 07EBCCB890
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

This may sound like a daft (stupid but not quite) but if you was going to set your bike up properly to prepare for ACF50 would you was your bike in its complete state or would you remove plastic and clean individually? Trying to save on double handling as I have been known to in the past lol

I plan on setting a whole day aside for this when the weather turns which won't be long now. I am on the flight path of migrating geese and three in large arrow head formation crossed yesterday which is early, so stand by for a cold winter.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've washed my bike in it's complete state, there's more chance of damaging the plastics if the are removed & cleaned individually & they are not going to be treated with ACF-50 themselves.

Over the weekend, I'll be stripping the bike in preparation for a Home visit by AYB next week.

(See other photos of the treatment process on page 1 of this thread.)
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

My bike is booked in with Alan Jefferies next weekend for the pre winter check and acf50 treatment (not bad for £50).  It's the only time it gets a decent clean
Also bought some of that auto-balm just in case I have to clean it myself one day