Keis Heated Clothing

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Keis Heated Clothing

Post by David. »

Have got some Keis Heated Insoles, http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/ke ... d-insoles/,
they seem to work very well in conjunction with a Heavy Duty Controller, http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/ke ... ontroller/.

Considering purchasing a Body Warmer or Jacket & powering the insoles via either item.

Do I put a controller "inline" to power both garments or need two separate controllers.

Any help, advice, recommendations or otherwise would be welcome, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Keis Heated Clothing

Post by richardbd »

Before getting the RT with its heated seat, I rode a Multistrada year-round.  I have a Keiss jacket, insoles and heated gloves all connected through the jacket and powered from the bike with just one bevy-duty controller.

Always worked without fault and always kept me toasty warm...

;) ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for your swift reply, please may I ask, have you got the inner or outer gloves.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hi David

I have the Keis heated vest and think its one of the best bits of winter kit I have. The vest comes with a heavy duty controller and has power outlets on the vest to plug in insoles or gloves. I believe the controller only controls the vest, gloves and soles are one heat but not 100% on this. I tried the jacket, nice piece of kit but I found it to bulky under my jacket. Two options to power the kit, either use supplied power lead and wire direct to battery or buy the 600mm extension lead and a powerlet plug to make a lead to use from the bike aux socket.

Hope this helps.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Yes, all replies are helpful, thanks.

Which vest have you got, the X10 or X20.

My understanding is that you may be correct, if the controller is connected in the vest pocket, it only controls the vest and not attached insoles or gloves.
Therefore, a separate controller would be required for other items if you wanted to adjust the heat setting.
Presumably, an "inline" controller would send the same output to all items, hence my original question.

Just found this on the Keis website:-

"POWERING ACCESSORIES VIA YOUR KEIS HEATED GARMENT
Your Keis heated garment has dedicated power outputs for Gloves, Trousers and Insoles.
NOTE: These outputs remain live all the time the garment is connected to a power source and are not
affected by devices connected in the Controller Pocket. To control accessories powered by these
sockets separate or integral controllers will be required."

This lead can be purchased to plug into the bike aux. socket:- http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/ci ... pply-lead/
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

X10. Yup forgot about that lead but wanted a smaller plug so rewired an extension cable with a Powerlet Right Angle Plug. Makes a neat lead. Remember the aux socket max amperage is 10 amps for 2014 model presume earlier are the same.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I would probably use the direct battery power lead, with the wire coming out between the seat & tank.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

That works just as well did that when I had my FJR. As the nice BMW man fitted aux sockets I was determined to try and use them.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Could always use the Optimate lead, http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/ke ... tion-lead/,
it'll save bolting more connections to the battery.  ;)
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looked at both the X25 Sleeved Heated Jacket & X10 Heated Bodywarmer today, both very nice pieces of kit.

However, for the time being, decided to go for a Battery Power Lead & Heavy Duty Controller for the Heated Insoles only.

If a controller is put inline with the power supply to the Bodywarmer, it will control both the Bodywarmer & Insoles at the same heat setting.

To get total flexibility over heat settings, two controllers would be needed.
One in the Bodywarmer pocket & one in the supply from the Bodywarmer to the Insoles.

I will see how I get on with the Heated Insoles, before looking at a Bodywarmer again, if necessary.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaygloDavid if you go for the sleeved jacket or body warmer might I suggest you find a stockist and try them on. I found the sleeved jacket too bulky under my normal winter jacket. The body warmer is far less bulky. I have also found that keeping your body core warm is sufficient. Both are excellent pieces of kit but for me the cheaper body warmer has been more than adequate. Further endorsement comes from my better half, who loves the warmth.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I use the WarmnSafe heated gear,  with dual controller so I can have my heated gloves at a warmer temp than my jacket/pants/socks.. 
It makes riding in the bitter cold a pleasure.
I used to use the keis insoles but they were forever failing,  plus socks do a better job of warming my toes
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Highly recommend Keis body warmer (sleeveless) plenty warm enough. The other great thing about Keis is their customer service which is exemplary. I had my original vest powered direct from the battery of the Tiger XC. Due to having a convenient power outlet on Arty bought an additional controller. It was discovered my jacket controller was faulty, this is all about 8 months down the road from purchasing. The response was return it to Keis which they replaced no quibbles, awesome.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using a Splitter Lead will give some more options for powering different garments.

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/splitter-lead/

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Keis currently have a Sale on X10 & X20 Bodywarmers with 25% off, including FREE Heat Controller, http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product-ca ... dywarmers/.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.