Gear Shift Pro

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
CMB123

Gear Shift Pro

Post by CMB123 »

I was interested in some feedback on Gear Shift Pro, which is supposed to be on my bike. However, after further investigation it appears they missed adding it. I wondered if it's worth having installed, or applying the credit form the dealer to something else?

Appreciate any feedback on this feature.

Thanks,

marc.
marc.
weston

Re: Gear Shift Pro

Post by weston »

I had it installed as a dealer after-sale measure.
From the various reports I've read on the Forum and elsewhere, I think my unit isn't operating properly downshifting, but does work well upshifting from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th.
When you are really getting on it and want to accelerate briskly as in say a quick passing maneuver it's a very cool thing to have -- the shifts are seamless and very fast.
I have not had the same results upshifting from 2nd to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th, nor in any downshifting. Though a number of riders sing the praises of the automatic rev matching on the downshift, I've not experienced this feature working at all. That tells me I need a software re-boot which will have wait for the spring to arrive here in New England!
Bottom line: assuming this will get sorted, I recommend it.

Weston
Chad

Post by Chad »

I have this on my RT, it's certainly quirky and I'm sure it's quicker than conventional changes but if it wasn't already fitted to my bike I don't think I would opt for it. I don't really need that extra 0.5 of a second (or whatever) when I change gear. Personally I would opt for more useful features such as the hill assist.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Got it on mine.  You have to be a bit insensitive to machinery to use it for 1st to 2nd both ways but the rest of the time its great.  Down shifting it makes you sound like a riding god and is also a lot smoother for anybody on the back.  Up shifting is just fast and totally smooth. Have it fitted.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I have it fitted to my bike. I have found it useful, and it works well, on upshifts when I want to get a move on. Usually from 3rd upwards. Having a bit of  a problem with the downshift, doesn't seem to want to work sometimes, but as its going in next week I'll get them to have a look at it.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Thanks everyone for the quick and useful responses! I think I'll probably get it installed when the bike is in for its 1000km service.

marc.
marc.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I have it on mine.  Upshifting under power is a hoot.  Downshifting I never use it for...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Next time your out, approaching a junction, shut throttle, tap away on the lever. Its great.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I love it, when I first picked up my bike a month ago and was riding through conditions with -4 degrees c it has the benefit of keeping your fingers wrapped around those heated grips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

Post by John »

I use it for all changes except 1st to 2nd and 2nd to first. Works nearly perfectly. There are rev/change combinations that don't work but other then that works butter smooth. Love the downshifts as it auto blips the throttle for you. You need to have it closed though when you do it. Have it on a bit and it is not smooth at all.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed.  You have to do what's printed on the box to make it work properly.  Fully closed throttle going down and I find open but not nailed going up. Do it the other way round and nothing happens. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I got gear assist pro retro fitted last Friday. Today was the first full day of riding using it and what a revelation. Up changing under positive acceleration was fun but what I had expected. Riding on fast A roads changing between 6-5-6 and on slower B roads 4-3-4, changing down prior to corners, driving round the bend and powering out was very cool. However what I had not anticipated was the ability to charge up to bends, then at the last moment change down 6-5-4-3 with continuous engine braking, then driving the bike around the bend. With such quick gear changes, engine braking is so strong you can leave the deceleration to much later. What a hoot !

Its quite an alien concept changing down on a closed throttle without the clutch but it works. Changing up was not always as smooth as I wanted but I guess it will take practice to perfect. Overall I’ve had a lot of fun today, very glad I had it fitted. 8)
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: I got gear assist pro retro fitted last Friday. Today was the first full day of riding using it and what a revelation. Up changing under positive acceleration was fun but what I had expected. Riding on fast A roads changing between 6-5-6 and on slower B roads 4-3-4, changing down prior to corners, driving round the bend and powering out was very cool. However what I had not anticipated was the ability to charge up to bends, then at the last moment change down 6-5-4-3 with continuous engine braking, then driving the bike around the bend. With such quick gear changes, engine braking is so strong you can leave the deceleration to much later. What a hoot !

Its quite an alien concept changing down on a closed throttle without the clutch but it works. Changing up was not always as smooth as I wanted but I guess it will take practice to perfect. Overall I’ve had a lot of fun today, very glad I had it fitted. 8)

Hmmm...

Sounds like maybe I should have read the instructions!  Hadn't twigged the bit about closing the throttle for down-shifting.

Doh...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Expect more resistance on the gear lever when down shifting without the clutch. Needs a good prod. Towards the end of the day it was starting to feel a little less weird.
Chad

Post by Chad »

It does seem that the harder you accelerate, the smoother the changes. what I hadn't considered is how much smoother it is for the pillion when your pressing on- there's hardly any lurch when you change.