Clunky Gearbox

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BeeJay

Clunky Gearbox

Post by BeeJay »

Having heard the stories about the "tractor" gearbox on beemers, I wasn't too surprised by the box on my ex-demo RT LC.
I've managed to sort a "smooth" downchange by leaving the throttle open a very tiny amount. Shut it off completely and it "clunks"
Upshift is okay, just need to time the clutch, throttle and shifter. The gear shift pro works a dream when I'm pinning the throttle open.
Now, the reason for this topic.
I've just left the bike at Pidcocks to have an autocom unit fitted and to look at a couple of items under warranty. Their loan bike was a GS.
What a difference the gearbox is !!! Smooth up and down.
Why?
Spoke to Mark at Pidcocks and he says they'll have a look at my bike but the GS has a different flywheel which may explain the difference.
Any other ideas?
guest2360

Re: Clunky Gearbox

Post by guest2360 »

The RT is the same as the GSA with a slightly heavier flywheel. If you want to know what a clunky BMW gearbox is really like borrow a K1600. You will probably find it will improve with use.  A trip round the Alps in May will help it. Reading one of your earlier posts I would suggest that reducing  the revs by about 1K in the middle gears will vastly improve gear changes without any loss of performance.  I have just noticed you say on downshift with the throttle closed you get the clunk. Blipping the throttle, like the Pro does might make a big difference as well.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

2015 GS now has the heavier flywheel too. As RTman10 says blipping the throttle on down shifts makes the gear change smooth. If you do not like the N to 1 clunk when stationary, then try this. When coming to a halt, say at a red traffic light, in 2 gear just before stopping, 10 mph or less, on a closed throttle,  select N pause then go into 1 and it will not clunk. This works a treat.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a play later.
Pope

Post by Pope »

My RTLC can get a bit clunky on occasion, when using the clutch through the gears 1- 3. However, the change is always buttery smooth using the quick sifter.
Even from 1st -2nd is smooth, as long as i quick shift.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline