R1200RT Recall - 2015

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
munkygunn182

R1200RT Recall - 2015

Post by munkygunn182 »

Hi all,

See the attached link - you may well be affected.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015 ... -k-models/

Craig
Levisp

Re: R1200RT Recall - 2015

Post by Levisp »

Well you cannot blame BMW for this one.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Difficult to believe their doing it all for free. Yet another reason for not going to your local tyre centre. Latest incident I have heard of in the East Midlands was a front wheel put in the wrong way round. instantly destroyed the ABS sensor. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Difficult to believe their doing it all for free. Yet another reason for not going to your local tyre centre. Latest incident I have heard of in the East Midlands was a front wheel put in the wrong way round. instantly destroyed the ABS sensor.

Yep another good reason why I fit tyres myself and maintain my bike myself. I know the job is done properly. Before I learnt how to fit tyres myself I always took the wheels off before getting tyres fitted. This way I could refit the wheels guaranteeing that it was done correctly with the right torques. I think if you want a ride in ride out service, then your local BMW dealer is probably the safest option. If it too expensive for you then learn how to remove wheels and then take your loose wheels to a tyre fitter. All the information you need is in the owners manual.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I take loose wheels to NBT http://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/, an independent tyre supplier/fitter, great service at a good price & always refit using a Torque Wrench.

Heard a horror story last week of a guy trying to remove the rear wheel from his RT after it had been to Cooper BMW Sunderland,
he broke a "Snap-on" Torx Bit in the process, not good & doesn't fill me with confidence.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaygloDavid wrote: Heard a horror story last week of a guy trying to remove the rear wheel from his RT after it had been to Cooper BMW Sunderland,
he broke a "Snap-on" Torx Bit in the process, not good & doesn't fill me with confidence.

Will thats good going considering the rear wheel nuts should be tighten to 60Nm dry. Maybe the bolts were corroded. I don't like dry threads in case of corrosion so use a very small amount of ACF 50 Corrosion Block Grease. I then reduce the tightening torque by 10%. I've stopped using copper based grease because apparently it can react to certain metals, although I having never seen this.