Dynamic Mode

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Budman

Dynamic Mode

Post by Budman »

I spent some time the other day riding in the Dynamic mode. It seems to me that the bike shifted more smoothly that in Road mode. Im not sure why that is unless it has to do with way I work the clutch.
Beautiful weather here in North Carolina so Ann and I are headed to Asheville tomorrow for lunch. Ill see if it continue to be this way or if its just my imagination.
We are going to the dealer to try on some Arai helmets, the Shoie caused her to have a headache. Im thinking that the Quantum will work well for her head shape.
You know what they say "If mamma isn't happy nobody is happy"   
Levisp

Re: Dynamic Mode

Post by Levisp »

Budman as far as I'm aware there is not electrical or mechanical connection between riding modes and gear change. However I have experienced the same as you particularly when down shifting. The reason I think is that in Dynamic Mode the throttle is very responsive, which makes timing shifts with throttle more accurate and so smoother. I found this when blipping the throttle for downshifts, the instant throttle response made timing easier and so resulted in smoother shifts. The downside to Dynamic is on very bumpy roads your body can transmit unwanted movement to the throttle resulting to less than smooth riding. It can be too sensitive. Good fun though when you are in the mood. :)
Budman

Post by Budman »

We had a great ride to Asheville today. Mid 60s and bright sunshine all day. Rode in Dynamic mode all day. Im probably going ot leave it there as the throttle is very responsive.

Picked up a new Arai Defiant helmet for Ann. She loves it. Very quiet and fits great. No more hot spots on her forehead.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Dynamic Mode all the time for me, even when its raining (i hate the feel of rain Mode).

Maybe its because i'm accustomed to the crisp fueling of my Ducati...
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Pope wrote: Dynamic Mode all the time for me, even when its raining (i hate the feel of rain Mode).

Maybe its because i'm accustomed to the crisp fueling of my Ducati...

Snap - what about the ESA setting though?
Budman

Post by Budman »

The ESA setting can be put on either rain, road or dynamic. It automatically goes to hard but you can place it on either if you choose. I put mine in normal unless Im in the mountains or on twisty roads.
Pope

Post by Pope »

richardbd wrote:
Snap - what about the ESA setting though?

Generally set to 'Comfort' mostly, unless i'm really getting a hustle on, then I go for 'Normal'.
I never really use 'Hard', as i find it too choppy for my liking.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Pope wrote:
Generally set to 'Comfort' mostly, unless i'm really getting a hustle on, then I go for 'Normal'.
I never really use 'Hard', as i find it too choppy for my liking.

Interesting.  Most of the time, I leave ESA in "normal" and just play with engine modes.  For more "progressive" riding I switch to dynamic mode and when things get seriously progressive, I harden up the suspension too.

Probably the only setting I never use is ESA on "comfort"  I find it too wallowy but maybe I should try it again...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

richardbd wrote:
Interesting.  Most of the time, I leave ESA in "normal" and just play with engine modes.  For more "progressive" riding I switch to dynamic mode and when things get seriously progressive, I harden up the suspension too.

Probably the only setting I never use is ESA on "comfort"  I find it too wallowy but maybe I should try it again...

Just how I do it. However during the Winter when the roads were particularly wet, slippery and temperature approaching freezing, used Rain Mode with Soft ESA. Obviously in those conditions was riding slowly and that combo worked well.
Pope

Post by Pope »

richardbd wrote:

My favorite and most used setting is Dynamic Mode, with ESA on Comfy....works for me most of the time.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Occasionally  enjoy, the `Warp Speed '  mode......  :whistle:
Last edited by stelyn on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Pope wrote:
My favorite and most used setting is Dynamic Mode, with ESA on Comfy....works for me most of the time.

You've been riding that Diavel too much!
Pope

Post by Pope »

richardbd wrote:
You've been riding that Diavel too much!

Strangely, i don't use the Dynamic Mode (called Sport on the Diavel), as its just too fierce on the throttle.  :eek: