Shell To Be BMW Recommended Oil Supplier

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
stelyn

Re: Shell To Be BMW Recommended Oil Supplier

Post by stelyn »

Levisp wrote: David for your spec oil this is a good deal from moto-oil based in Bournemouth UK
Just viewed that Site, that's a good deal Levisp...., ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Plus, it's a wider Viscosity range & higher specification than that which the BMW Dealers will use for the Twin Cams, oh & it's cheaper too.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lets put things into context.  We spend up to 16K on a bike.  It needs 4 litres of oil every 6K or for most of us once a year. Life is just too short to go scouring the net to save a few quid on some oil other than the recommended stuff your dealer will put in it. I have spent time on the other side of the counter when owners struggle in with bottles of alien oil and insist its used in the service. .Sad.         
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:BMW (in conjunction with Castrol), have downgraded the engine oil specification from 10w-50 Fully Synthetic API SL to 15w-50 Part Synthetic API SJ.

Whilst I can obtain the 10w-50 Fully Synthetic for £10 per litre, I will continue to use the higher specification oil which was originally recommended by BMW for the Twin Cam Models.

The 15w-50 viscosity range is not one of those recommended in the 2012 RT Rider's Manual.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Lets put things into context.  We spend up to 16K on a bike.  It needs 4 litres of oil every 6K or for most of us once a year. Life is just too short to go scouring the net to save a few quid on some oil other than the recommended stuff your dealer will put in it. I have spent time on the other side of the counter when owners struggle in with bottles of alien oil and insist its used in the service. .Sad.       

Sorry but you have not read my post. I'm not buying bottles of alien oil. The oil I source is exactly the same as BMW have in their dealerships. Its genuine Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40. Dealer cost £18. My cost £7.77 I have just completed 10000 miles in little over 6 months. This means I will be changing my oil at least 3 times in a year. Approx saving £120. Sad I don't think so.
Attachments
IMG_0160.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

£18 that's 5 more than my dealer who of course would tell you its no longer the recommended grade.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Its the recommended grade in my manual for LC.

SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine, BMW Motorrad recommends Castrol Power 1 Ra- cing 4T SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2

Same as my dealer. Should say its the same oil on the self which I checked to see if they had changed to Shell yet. What are BMW saying is the recommended grade for the LC, if its not what's in the manual. Just checked the latest handbook for RT LC that can be downloaded same spec but now no mention of Castrol. Still 5W-40

Last edited by Levisp on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The latest LC Rider's manual (08/2014 onwards) says BMW recommend ADVANTEC Original BMW Engine Oil, (page 165).

SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible because they can attack coated components of the engine.
BMW Motorrad  recommends the use of BMW Motorrad oils, obtainable from your authorised BMW Motorrad dealer.
DaygloDavid wrote:A local BMW Dealer is charging £16.80 for 5w-40.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks David but thats NOT a change in grade. Still 5W-40 with same spec. However because BMW have dropped Castrol they now say recommend ADVANTEC. Is this made by Shell ?
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

See page 7 of this F 800 GS brochure, item No.6

http://www.bmw-motorrad.fi/se/sv/equipm ... 5_FI_s.pdf

Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My gut feeling is that Shell will make a BMW labelled oil which can only be bought in crazy 1 litre bottles from BMW at silly money. They will not market it themselves under Shell branding. However its irrelevant because the recommended grade e.g. 5W-40 API SL / JASO MA2 can be made by Castrol, Shell, Rock Oil etc.... its the spec thats important. Who makes it is irrelevant.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In my 2007 RT, I used the same oil, which the dealers use as recommended by BMW.

The oil was either BMW branded or Castrol 20W - 50 mineral, (surprisingly, the BMW oil was about £5 per litre is cheaper than Castrol).

Image Image
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

R 1200 RT-P Supplementary Instructions, http://www.bmwmc.net/Media/Media.aspx?u ... dia_type=2

Engine Oil:
Selecting the proper motor oil for strenuous fleet operations is essential to maintain the long-life and low oil consumption expected from a BMW engine. BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC ULTIMATE 5w40 engine oil is premium quality synthetic four stroke motorcycle oil formulated with Pure Plus technology designed to ensure maximum power and performance, even under the most demanding fleet riding conditions. Always use BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC ULTIMATE synthetic engine oil from the 600 mile inspection forward, to fully protect the engine between 6,000 mile service intervals.

Pure Plus technology, is a Shell development, http://www.shell.com/global/products-se ... eplus.html,
probably seals the deal on Shell making the new BMW Oils.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just ordered 4 Litres of Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50 fully synthetic engine oil from OPIE Oils.

I started with the Moto-Oil.co.uk website price, & OPIE came out slightly cheaper at £10.83 per litre with free P&P.

Yes, ebay may be cheaper again but I don't use it & OPIE won't accept any auction sites or third party merchants, an example being Amazon for their "Price Beater Promise".

OPIE say
, "Goods sold on auction web sites or by third party merchants are frequently grey imports or old stock.
All our stock comes either direct from the manufacturer or from the official UK importers for products manufactured overseas."

A "Google" search has come up with Engine Oil Direct, http://www.engineoildirect.co.uk/shop/4 ... 4l/7926474,
might be worth using their price for the OPIE "Price Beater Promise" next time.

Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

OPIE say, "Goods sold on auction web sites or by third party merchants are frequently grey imports or old stock. All our stock comes either direct from the manufacturer or from the official UK importers for products manufactured overseas."

Thats a standard reply companies give. The oil I bought from Germany was dated 18/2/14