To buy or not to buy extended warranty, that is the question?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
CMB123

To buy or not to buy extended warranty, that is the question?

Post by CMB123 »

Hi all, interested in anyone's take re extended warranty on the R1200RT LC. My local dealer is really pumping it these days and appreciate your thoughts. It ain't cheap and ranges from 1500 bucks to 2500 depending on years of coverage. It is a full coverage warranty that covers he whole bike, bar wearable parts of course.

Cheers.
marc.
guest2360

Re: To buy or not to buy extended warranty, that is the question?

Post by guest2360 »

This side of the pond if you accept the first £100 its about £360 a year.  Its by no means full warranty and doesn't cover things like corrosion and from memory lighting.  Having said that you do get a years emergency breakdown cover which in its own is over £100 I think. Get a drive shaft or gearbox problem and you will be pleased you took it out.    Interestingly on my 1600 when I had switch failures they were not covered but because they were a known problem were covered for 100 months from new. I suspect things like the fuel sensors which were forever failing a couple of years ago would be the same. 
Pope

Post by Pope »

CMB123 wrote: Hi all, interested in anyone's take re extended warranty on the R1200RT LC. My local dealer is really pumping it these days and appreciate your thoughts. It ain't cheap and ranges from 1500 bucks to 2500 depending on years of coverage. It is a full coverage warranty that covers he whole bike, bar wearable parts of course.

Cheers.

Don't you guys get a 3 year warranty over there in Canadia Land, or is it just the Yanks that get it.

Us poor old Brits only get a 2 year warranty, so i have one more year to run on my RTLC. As for extending the warranty? I probably wont bother, unless my bike becomes problematic over the next year.

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

My Dealership included the `years warranty'  as part of the deal on my 2012 RT,  but I expect they all provide this, on used Bikes ?    Did'nt realise the renewal costs were so high at £360 though ........  :-X
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW Approved Used Bike Warranty costs £210 & is included in the purchase price of the Bike.

Not forgetting that to meet the T&C's of a New, Used or Extended Bike Warranty, the Bike must be serviced at a BMW Dealer or VAT Registered Independent using Genuine BMW parts, more expense.

An Annual/6,000 miles Service could cost around £280.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Approved Used Bike warranty and Extended warranty are obviously two different things hence the different price. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

This is a difficult one to give a straight answer to because it depends on your perceived risk of something expensive going wrong on your bike and your own financial position. If you feel the chances of a major problem is slim and if the worst happened you could pay for it without a problem, then it's not worth paying for extended warranty. If on the other hand you think your riding a time bomb or you financially cannot take the hit, then it would seem wise to buy the warranty. For me I will not be extending the warranty on my RT. I'm doing the servicing myself which puts me in a grey area with regards warranty, but also feel that the risk of a major problem is small. BMW have had a few recalls recently and have had some issues, such as final drives in the past but I think overall they are still reliable. I'm also planning on keeping this bike longterm and that can also be a deciding factor. My second bike Ducati Multistada 1200 is 18 months old and I have just paid for third year warranty. Why? First the Ducati gets dealer serviced. Second my own perceived risk of a major problem is higher than my BMW. Thirdly, I will probably sell the bike next year. Having a manufacturers warranty will make the bike easier to sell privately.

One final thought. Warranty companies make money. Their risk assessment must be that the chances of paying out is small. Which means it probably ain't going to go wrong. Fingers crossed !
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I agree with your thoughts about risk & financial position, well put.

However, when my Used Bike Warranty expires, I will certainly be looking at purchasing an Extended Warranty.

As has been said, it includes full European Breakdown Cover (Emergency Service) for those of us in the UK.

At the same time, I will be looking to work in conjunction with the BMW Dealer or VAT Registered Independent to minimise the Service cost whilst still upholding the T&C's of the Warranty.

For example, Cooper BMW Sunderland are charging me £50 for an Annual Service (Labour Only), Oil & Filter supplied.

From experience, when I looked to take out an Extended Warranty on my previous RT, (after a period of not having cover), BMW were happy to offer one on the strength of it having a Service History, (stamps in the book), irrespective of where the work had been done, including some DIY.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Breakdown cover. I have three ! Two manufacturers and the third is part of my insurance.
CMB123

Post by CMB123 »

Once again thanks for all the good input and comments. Yes, we get the 3 year warranty including roadside assistance. The extended can take it up a few years more, something that can be done right up to a month prior to warranty expiry. They are pumping it here right now as there will be a price increase soon. I think I'll propably wait it out and see what, if any, serious and costly issues come up over the next couple of years that this warranty would cover and revisit then.
marc.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote: Breakdown cover. I have three ! Two manufacturers and the third is part of my insurance.
What insurance company added in warranty? That's a good discount on your policy. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: What insurance company added in warranty? That's a good discount on your policy.

None ! Its Breakdown cover.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

I thought the BMW extended warranty was good value as it includes UK and European breakdown cover too.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

beemerbaz wrote: I thought the BMW extended warranty was good value as it includes UK and European breakdown cover too.

It is if you don't already have breakdown cover. I get UK and European breakdown cover included in my insurance which at the moment is with Carol Nash. I also think BMW insurance includes it as well.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

I have used Carole Nash breakdown in UK and Europe but the European saga took me almost 6 weeks to get my bike repatriated. On another note I have just switched from C/N to Bennetts when insuring my K1600, what a mare that experience was, they don't want you to leave and put as many obstacles in your way as possible. Took me 5 phone calls over a 4 day period to cancel my policy and request a copy of my NCB. The policy only had 6 weeks to run and they wanted £50 to cancel or make an amendment to the policy, needless to say I didn't pay the £50 and I have my NCB proof.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT