Pillion

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
steve.sharkey

Pillion

Post by steve.sharkey »

I've not taken anyone on the back of a bike for about 30 years (on an mtx50!) My wife (who hasn't been a passenger on a bike for about 30 years - mtx50) has borrowed kit and on Saturday we'll give it a go before she decides if she's coming on (the tamer) tours with me (well she did buy me the bike!).

My question is: what is the sequence used to get on the bike?

Other than the obvious: adjust suspension, instruction on don't fight the lean, ride as smoothly as possible and don't scare her too much on the first ride - is there anything else you could recommend?
guest2360

Re: Pillion

Post by guest2360 »

I would suggest the following.
Put your top box on.
Get up beside a curb so she has less of a hike up.
Lean slightly forward so giving her more room.
If its raining or blowing don't do it. 
Plus all your suggestions.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Pillion

Post by beemerbaz »

In addition to everything else said, apply the front brake and take a wider stance as possible when your passenger is mounting

Also double check your insurance includes the carrying of passengers.

Happy riding.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree with all above. If you have panniers on take them off, its easier to get on and off without them. For her she needs to get on horse style, left foot on left peg, lift up and over with right leg. You need a firm stance and be prepared for wobble. When she wants to get off brief her to do nothing until you are ready. Sometimes new pillions are too keen. I don't know if you have ridden pillion yourself recently but its damn scary. So go real slow and be very very gentle. I have just done this with my wife and it took some time for her to be comfortable before I could ride in a normal way. If you scare her she will just not get back on. Captain slow and Billy Bolt Upright is the order of the day. Hope she enjoys it.
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

What good advice we all give [emoji106]
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Yep, agree with all the above expert advice,  but missing is an  important part.    Ensure she takes her purse to pay for the fuel and Bacon Sarnies and point out that a `pillion'  always cleans and polishes the Bike afterwards......have fun & enjoy  ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Pope

Post by Pope »

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

stelyn wrote: Yep, agree with all the above expert advice,  but missing is an  important part.    Ensure she takes her purse to pay for the fuel and Bacon Sarnies and point out that a `pillion'  always cleans and polishes the Bike afterwards......have fun & enjoy  ;)
I tried that and was politely told where to go ;D
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

I would prefer to see my passenger more appropriately dressed than those 2 in the video.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

City boys
Pope

Post by Pope »

beemerbaz wrote: I would prefer to see my passenger more appropriately dressed than those 2 in the video.

Yes, I think this is much more appropriate clothing for the Pillion to wear......be

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

Much better [emoji12]
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Nice art work on the Bikes..... 8)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Budman

Post by Budman »

When Ann rides we always have the topcase on. This provides her with a more secure feeling.

When mounting the bike:
We first do a quick check of all her gear, helmet, speakers, all zippers secure, shake test.

Side stand down, bike in first gear, engine off.

She gets on and settled in, uses the left peg to get on.

I get on and put the bike upright, check to see that she is ready, pull in the clutch, put the side stand up and start the bike. Smoothly pull away and out the driveway.

She knows to be still and lean with me. The intercom is great so she can tell me if there are issues or if we are good to go. She likes the ride more now that we can communicate.

After some big rides and her comfort level got really good we went on the Barber Motorsports track. She did great.

She does not pay for gas or meals but there are other benefits that I need not mention!

be 
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Thanks all, looking forward to tomorrow...