KEYLESS REMOTE USE on the RT1200R 2015

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
szpinner

KEYLESS REMOTE USE on the RT1200R 2015

Post by szpinner »

Just wondering how many others have had delivery of 2015 RT1200 with keyless remote...I have security paranoias !!!

I just had my riding buddy get on my bike as I stood by, start it up and engage a gear. He could have driven off with the bike. I thought if I walked 30 ft away the bike would conk out but it kept running. Does this mean the remote system is vulnerable...and this easily?

Anybody got experience with this remote key system?

The szpinner
guest2360

Re: KEYLESS REMOTE USE on the RT1200R 2015

Post by guest2360 »

If the fod is within about 3 ft of the reader the bike can be started. It will keep running even if the fod goes out of range.  Once its switched off though it cant be restarted.  All keyless ignitions are the same.  Someone would have to be fast to jump on your bike start it and move off with you stood beside it.
szpinner

Post by szpinner »

Thanks for the common sense reply. But, I still believe BMW did not think this keyless ignition through. The simple solution would be to have a "complete KILL switch/button" on the key fob that completely disengages all systems necessary for security on the bike. Then, the owner can activate it when he/she wants. Simple but efficient.  Too bad. A really smart thing to do would be to reprogram the computer so that when the bike owner walks away from the bike, the bike powers off completely after beeping a warning that it is about to shut down.
The szpinner
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think both suggestions would not be acceptable safety wise.  If for any reason such a kill function was activated when you were moving there could be serious consequences.  My car is keyless and in that if the fod goes out of range you have to go through a different sequence to turn it off.  I'm  surprised its not the same on the bikes , although I think I remember getting a warning on the dash.