Mountain Bike on my Motorcycle

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
haxbmw

Mountain Bike on my Motorcycle

Post by haxbmw »

Hi everyone,

I know there are other forums out there that address this issue but I figured it was well worth bring up here.

Almost as much as I love riding my motorcycle I love to ride my Mountain bike on trails. I like to explore trails that are far away and it just makes sense to carry my bicycle on my motorcycle.

The way I see it is that I can either tow a trailer of some kind (this way I can carry at least two bicycles) or use something like this http://2x2cycles.com/. I think I rather pull a trailer but that can be expensive and I have not seen anyone make a trailer for that purpose. Since I am not a very inventive person I really don't see me modifying anything to suite my needs.

Has anyone figured out a cost effective way or a different way to do this without modifying my motorcycle too much?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Mountain Bike on my Motorcycle

Post by David. »

DAHON (for example) http://dahon.com/mainnav/foldingbikes/s ... o_d24.html do folding Bikes

& BMR make a Flatbed Luggage Rack http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=128101

with the Top case removed, this may be an alternative.

In the UK, I don't think you would get away with the pushbike overhanging the rear of the motorcycle using the 2x2 Carrier.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For many years me and the wife had a tandem.  Did quite a few European tours on it.  However in 1994 when we rediscovered motorcycles it got consigned to the attic.  Never felt the need the shackle a trailer to that, might as well rediscovers cars.   
Chad

Post by Chad »

Maybe this is the answer?
Attachments
image.jpg
haxbmw

Post by haxbmw »

Thanks for the suggestions but changing to a  new bicycle just isn't an option. I haven't even explained to the wife how much the new carbon fiber Intense cost yet.

I have however looked into the trailer idea. Its a bit on the expensive side then I would need to modify it to carry the bicycle. I would not mind having a trailer to carry camping gear either. 

Has any had any issues towing a trailer on the RT?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

I am a cyclist in all sense of the word motorcycle/ road bike/ mountain bike so feel for you. If I may make a suggestion which would take you less than ten minutes: take both wheels off and secure them to the pillion foot rests and wrap and pack frame lay on back seat and top box carrier you could remove pedals if concerned about scratching RT. I used to strip my bike down regularly for trips when packing it into a bike bag.
haxbmw

Post by haxbmw »

That's a really good idea Spencert. Next time you rig your bike(s) up could you post a photo?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hax I have some really important jobs I have to do before flying to Nice on the 16April when I get back I will checkout if my theory works and if successful send you some pics.
Chad

Post by Chad »

http://youtu.be/5UcaOIYWVFk
Is this an option Hax?
haxbmw

Post by haxbmw »

It wasn't but it is now!  :))
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad wrote: http://youtu.be/5UcaOIYWVFk
Is this an option Hax?
Oh to have the joints, age, and muscles again to recover from all of that shock loading lol. That was really excellent and the music awesome anybody now who the music was by?
Chad

Post by Chad »

Spencert231 wrote: Oh to have the joints, age, and muscles again to recover from all of that shock loading lol. That was really excellent and the music awesome anybody now who the music was by?
I do... The song is called Drop The Game, by Flume and Chet Kaker. You can find it on YouTube.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

This is my music got it playing on Spotify all the time, great thanks for the title.