Ordered a new 2015 RT - yesterday

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Thorvald

Re: Ordered a new 2015 RT - yesterday

Post by Thorvald »

STeinar wrote: Thank you Chad and RTman10
I will order a set then - and will see how it fits  ^-^

Next project will be to find a holder for my Bike2Bike (442MHz) antenna.
[attach=1]

Oh?  Do tell more!  Does this give us a full dual band VHF/UHF antenna in place of the existing AM/FM antenna?

Or do you have to custom mount it?  It would be awesome if we could just swap it out.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

STeinar wrote: Got a phone call today - picking up the new RT tomorrow morning  ^-^
Let me explain STeinar I was referring to the clown and riding instructor not your nice new bike, sorry for any confusion, all the best with it
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Hello all

Well - my first impressions after some 500km this weekend.

Saturday - used to mount all my extras - Bike2Bike, AKE intercom etc etc.

Then a full  ACF-50 and wax session.

The San Marino metallic - is really shiny after a new layer of wax :-)

Sunday - a 500km test-ride with my wife along  :-)

I need to change the position of the gear leveler - as when I preload the shifter before changing gear - the gear-shift pro is doing it’s job - and it all ends up in a strange shifting - when both of us is shifting at the same time ;-)

As a starter - If I could have the RT with the 1600 engine and the totally relaxed sitting position as on the LT - then I had my perfect bike ;-)

I would like to see the handlebars a little more backwards - as I find my sitting position to be a little bit to much forward.
With the low seat option - i find the knee to easily be cramped, but will try to lover the pegs 1-2cm and see what happens - also with the roads cleanse under cornering.

I have the touring screen on, but my life is telling me that she has more wind on the shoulders now than on the 1600.
For me - the screen is perfect.  Much better wind protecting on my hands and arms - than on the 1600.
My feet - gets a bit warm now - have to learn to hold them a bit further out into the cold ear.

The bike is grate - a bit of vibrations (I can learn to live with it) - and the bike is a little to noisy from the exost for me and my wife.

But - in total - we will have many interesting and nice km on this bike - I’m sure. It suits my kind of  riding better than the 1600.
Nothing wrong with the 1600 - only the RT is more me  :)

Like my wife is saying it - The 1600 is a limousine - taking you long distance in best mane possible , the RT is a motorbike - taking you a little shorter distance, but with mush more fun.

So in total - sorry to say, but I have no complains so far  ;)

Attachments
IMG_0140.jpg
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Thorvald wrote:
Oh?  Do tell more!  Does this give us a full dual band VHF/UHF antenna in place of the existing AM/FM antenna?

Or do you have to custom mount it?  It would be awesome if we could just swap it out.
No - I will mount the B2B antenna in a similar manner , but on the left side of the front. Same mount and same position.
Did not have the time to mount it this weekend, so have to dig into it a little later :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

STeinar wrote:The bike is grate - a bit of vibrations (I can learn to live with it) - and the bike is a little to noisy from the exost for me and my wife.

But - in total - we will have many interesting and nice km on this bike - I’m sure. It suits my kind of  riding better than the 1600.
Nothing wrong with the 1600 - only the RT is more me  :)

Like my wife is saying it - The 1600 is a limousine - taking you long distance in best mane possible , the RT is a motorbike - taking you a little shorter distance, but with mush more fun.
The vibrations & the exhaust noise were two of the reasons I didn't buy an LC over a used TC.

I'm sure the 1600 makes a great "mile muncher" but perhaps the RT is more fun to ride.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

STeinar interesting observations between the RT and K16GTL. I think the bar position and peg position you will adapt to with more miles on the bike. I initially found the pegs high compared to my FJR but now they feel perfect. Be careful lowering the pegs because the brake pedal has virtually no adjustment. I was able to lower the pedal by only 10 mm from factory setting. If you lower the pegs the brake pedal will be too high. Maybe this can be fixed by an aftermarket product but I have not seen anything yet. There is no problem on the gear shift side thats fully adjustable.

The engine vibration does get better with miles. Mines done over 10 K now and its noticeable smoother than when it was new. Hope you gel with the bike like I have, I love riding mine. Enjoy.
Pope

Post by Pope »

DaygloDavid wrote: The vibrations & the exhaust noise were two of the reasons I didn't buy an LC over a used TC.

I'm sure the 1600 makes a great "mile muncher" but perhaps the RT is more fun to ride.

Vibrations.....My RTLC was a bit buzzy sometimes when new, However, she's as smooth as supermodels Arse now (8000miles on).

Yes, and the RT is much more fun  to ride, as its almost 100kg lighter than the K16..
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: STeinar interesting observations between the RT and K16GTL. I think the bar position and peg position you will adapt to with more miles on the bike. I initially found the pegs high compared to my FJR but now they feel perfect.  Hope you gel with the bike like I have, I love riding mine. Enjoy.

Totally agree.  I found the LC cramped, pegs to seat, after my Mutistrada but three months in, I love it...
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

A short question

When the bike is good and warm - I have a really noticeable rattling from the engine when idling.
Difficult to say from where, but it's from the cylinder area - not the tranny.
It's not as anything is loose - only a unfamiliar sound.

How much rattling is normal from a boxer ?

Pope

Post by Pope »

The LC boxer engine can be very rattly when hot, especially so on the GS bikes. Though the RT does have it fare share of engine rattles.

Nothing to be worried about though, Its just a characteristic of the LC engine when its hot. 
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

STeinar wrote: How much rattling is normal from a boxer ?

Lots - it's when it stops rattling that you should worry!

;) ;)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

When you start the engine from cold, you can hear a top end rattle for a very short time and then stops. This is quite normal. Its cam chain rattle. The cam chain is tensioned by a spring and oil pressure. Once oil pressure is reached the noise ceases. Can only hear this with helmet off and ear plugs out. Its subtle.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm not aware of any rattles hot or cold. Then again I'm a deaf old git. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I'm not aware of any rattles hot or cold. Then again I'm a deaf old git.

clearly!

;) ;)
Chad

Post by Chad »

Maybe these rattles are design features, purposely built into the boxer to give them the all essential 'character'  that enthusiasts often refer to lol.