Auto Hill Start

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Steveeung

Auto Hill Start

Post by Steveeung »

Hi I have a new RT1200 LE and love it (after a K1600 that I never quite mastered) but the hill start and indicator cancelling both did work intermittently at first but have now both stopped working altogether. Dealership says they will reload the software at the 600 mile service next week. Anyone had problems like this? Tried searching but couldn't find any posts on this. Apologies as a newbie if I've missed the obvious.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Levisp

Re: Auto Hill Start

Post by Levisp »

Sorry to hear no problem with mine. Probably a software reset will solve the issue. Lets us know how you get on.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Indicator cancelling only work above a curtain speed. Have you tested it at speed, say on a motorway.
Try giving the brake lever a sharp fast squeeze to see if the brake indicator shows on the dash. A slow application will not set it.
I have never heard of the hill start failing.  You will no doubt be too aware of switch problems coming over from a 1600, that could be the indicator glitch but then again I've never heard of that function going and nothing else.    Best of luck at the dealers.   
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Thanks have tried everything for hill start that the dealer told me. Will let you know how I get on.
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

By the way, RTman10, what switch problems?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

On my 1600s in 3 years I used up 3 left hand switches and 2 right ones.  On my RT so far only 1 right one on a recall.  Things are looking up.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: On my 1600s in 3 years I used up 3 left hand switches and 2 right ones.  On my RT so far only 1 right one on a recall.  Things are looking up.

I'm still on the original ones - maybe I'm just lucky (so far...)
Chad

Post by Chad »

Don't say the LC also have switch problems! I sold my TC because of these problems. I'll be sooo pissed off if these switches start playing up. What is the problem- Are BMW buying these bits in from China?? If they can't make reliable switch gear after all these years they should buy them from Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. Rant over :nervous:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Chad, worry not.  Only LCs made up to May 14 had potentially faulty starter switches and all bikes were recalled for a new one. I have heard of none failing like what they did on the 1600s. And your second question, apparently not but the EU company who produced the first bunch of dodgy ones were I understand dumped by BMW. 
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Strangely I had my k1600 two years from new without a switch problem. It's one reason I bought the RT. Same cockpit/controls with much better handling and fun (which I'd missed after having a Multistrada) and better weather protection than the K1600. Best of all worlds! Ok the multi got the pulse racing - a wolf in wolf's clothing , so to speak, but the RT LE is definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. I digress.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Totally agree.  The RT is a 1600 with missing pots but goes just as well. And getting it out of the shed is just too easy.  . 
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

I now think I'm going mad. Put the bike in for its service and they said they had done an ABS software update that was required anyway so I should see if that had fixed it as it worked ok on their test ride. I had to leave to get back to catch a train so couldn't test the Auto Hill Start with them watching. All way home it didn't work. Got it out yesterday and it worked first thing (even on a flat) with the 'H' appearing on the dash and the bike holding...but only if I nudged the bike forward then held the front brake - fine for me... However, after a run, stopped on a hill and tried all the combinations of stopping and applying front brake (1. stopped with front only; 2. stopped with both front and back; 3. stopped with back only). Tried stopping, letting the brake off momentarily at the risk of it rolling back (in scenario 1 above) and reapplying front. Tried letting breaks off, nudging it forward and then applying front brake and holding. None of these worked. Driving me mad. So now I'm relying on 3 options ie 1. Someone on this forum giving me inspiration on what it might be/what I might be doing wrong. 2. The dealership finding what is an intermittent electronics fault (hmmm) or 3. Samaritans  :beee:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Its not possible to apply just the front brake, they are linked.  The back one is the one used on the Hill Start but can only be set/unset with the hand lever.  Try stopping normally (uphill, downhill or on the level makes no difference).  Quickly let the brake off and just as quickly reapply it and let go. Symbol should come up on the dash.  You can take it off with the same quick hard pull.  Second option is return to the dealer and make him do it.
Don't think  any ABS update should have any effect on it.
Steveeung

Post by Steveeung »

Thanks RTman I was aware the brakes are partially integrated. I should have described how I applied the brakes each time (hand lever only,;both hand lever and foot brake pedal; and brake pedal only, so to speak). Anyway, what you've told me is that I am doing it right and the auto hill start is intermittently faulty. Will let you know what the say at the second attempt. It's a weird one. By the way I thought the AHS used the ABS module to work (but keeping the brake on rather than backing it off).
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steveeung wrote: Thanks RTman I was aware the brakes are partially integrated. I should have described how I applied the brakes each time (hand lever only,;both hand lever and foot brake pedal; and brake pedal only, so to speak). Anyway, what you've told me is that I am doing it right and the auto hill start is intermittently faulty. Will let you know what the say at the second attempt. It's a weird one. By the way I thought the AHS used the ABS module to work (but keeping the brake on rather than backing it off).
You might be correct about the ABS.  As mine seems to work all the time I've not bothered to delve into how.  Sure your dealer will sort it.  Don't forget to mention all the added stress you are under.