Servicing - Dealer, Independent or DIY.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Servicing - Dealer, Independent or DIY.

Post by David. »

From new, for the first 2 years (warranty period), I've tended to use a main dealer, either Cooper at Sunderland or Barrie Robson in York.
After that, I've used an independent and done some DIY.

In the NE of England, there is Mick Kendrick at Sunderland, http://www.mick-kendrick.co.uk/.
Unfortunately, Mick is not VAT registered, therefore cannot be used to uphold BMW warranties, (their T&C's).

The new (used) 2012 RT has a 1 year used bike warranty, I either use a main dealer or look for a VAT registered independent.
I know someone who has used Stuart Rafferty in York, http://www.stuartraffertymotorcycles.co.uk/
and The Workshop, http://www.theworkshopyork.com/ also in York has been recommended.

Any comments and/or advice would be welcome, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Servicing - Dealer, Independent or DIY.

Post by guest2360 »

I'v seen lots of bikes that have been looked after by independents. I will stick with authorised main dealers. Even with a used bike covered by BMWs Authorised Used Bike  warranty I'm not sure you wouldn't have problems if you had a claim and you had no dealer service history..   
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spoken to BMW Warranty Services, they assure me that an independent VAT registered garage can be used to uphold new, used & extended warranties, providing genuine BMW parts are used, you get a receipt for the work & your service book is stamped.

The guy I refer to, had recently purchased a BMW extended warranty and discussed this with BMW before taking his bike to an independent.

After owning the 2010 bike from new, I didn't extend the 2 year manufacturer's warranty in year 3.
I later enquired with BMW and they were happy to offer me an extended warranty on the strength of the bike having some dealer & independent service history (the book being stamped). Going forward, they confirmed an independent could be used as above.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Fair enough.  To be honest with the cost of the bikes in my opinion its not worth the risk taking it out of the dealer network to save a few quid on servicing costs. I spent over 7 years as a Parts Manager in a BMW dealership and saw some horrors on work done by independents.  But each to his own.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I had a independent fit me new tyres..  Never use him again as he fitted the front wheel incorrectly and bust my ABS sensor
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the 2010 bike, the last service done at the dealers was at 18K miles, I was not looking forward to the cost of the next service, 24K miles/3 years.

Purchased all the oils & parts myself, had a full day in the garage and completed the service with the exception of the following items:-

Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
Replace belt for generator
Changing brake fluid, front and rear
Correcting engine synchronization
Setting service-due date and service countdown distance
Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

Bespoke service completed by an independent, saving myself £280.

At 30K miles, completed a 6,000 miles service for £82.77, I wonder how much BMW would charge for the same service.

At 36K miles, completed the service again myself for the cost of the oil & parts.

The bike was part-ex'd and the BMW Dealer wasn't bothered about it not having a full BMW Service History.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Confirmation e-mail from BMW Insured Warranty Services

Good Morning,

As per our telephone conversation on 12/11/2014, I can confirm and clarify that BMW recommend that you have the motorcycle serviced and maintained by an official BMW dealer, but under the terms of the policy you may have your motorcycle serviced by any VAT registered garage as long as they use official BMW parts.

In regards to repairs, all repair work covered by warranty would have to be completed by an official BMW dealer.
If this repair work is completed outside of the network, this may invalidate your cover.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Natasha Lynn
BMW Insured Warranty Services Administrator 

BMW Insured Warranty Services

Tel: 0845 641 9790 / 0208 666 9204
Fax: 020 86030222
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spoken to both Stuart Rafferty Motorcycles & Paul Fennel at The Workshop York.

Stuart is VAT registered, Paul isn't, therefore it's Stuart or a BMW Dealer.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaygloDavid wrote: Confirmation e-mail from BMW Insured Warranty Services

Good Morning,

As per our telephone conversation on 12/11/2014, I can confirm and clarify that BMW recommend that you have the motorcycle serviced and maintained by an official BMW dealer, but under the terms of the policy you may have your motorcycle serviced by any VAT registered garage as long as they use official BMW parts.

In regards to repairs, all repair work covered by warranty would have to be completed by an official BMW dealer.
If this repair work is completed outside of the network, this may invalidate your cover.

If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Natasha Lynn
BMW Insured Warranty Services Administrator 

BMW Insured Warranty Services

Tel: 0845 641 9790 / 0208 666 9204
Fax: 020 86030222

Once again I see double standards between UK and USA. If you look on the US forums lots of folk there service their bikes themselves without infringing BMW warranty. In the US you can service your bike yourself - no problem. They also get 3 years warranty against our 2. Well for the record I'm going to service my bike myself, document everything including photos so I can prove that the bike has been serviced according to BMW specification. I have bought BMW OEM parts and oil and have receipts to prove it. I will certainly for the first 2 years pay for the bike to be plugged into BMW computer to reset service reminders, check for fault codes and any software updates providing they don't charge me silly money. Once my 2 years are up then I will purchase GS911 and do that myself.

Now I know many people reading this will say why bother especially having spent £15K on buying a new bike. My argument is that I'm more than capable and have time to do it. I actually enjoy working on my bikes. I even fit my own tyres have been doing that for years. Also there is a big saving to be had. If my RT LC is reliable then I'm planning on keeping this one and I want to see 120K miles in 10 years. I estimate that DIY servicing will save me between £4000 - £5000 over 10 years. Thats worth having ;D
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on UKGSer:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... +in+london

Looks like it is referring to an "Extended Warranty" and is suggesting that having to use a VAT registered garage may not be enforceable.

(The T&C's may be different for, New, Used & Extended Warranties).
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Maz12 wrote:I had a independent fit me new tyres..  Never use him again as he fitted the front wheel incorrectly and bust my ABS sensor.
Just had a text from a GS owner,

"Just had to take the bike back to Coopers after they failed to fit the front tyre properly. I had a slow leak and it was due to the valve/tyre pressure sensor not having been tightened".

(Coopers are a BMW Dealer in Sunderland).
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The tyre pressure sensors are very prone to being damaged when fitting tyres. If you take your bike to an independent tyre fitter make sure he knows they are fitted. In this case BMW themselves failed but they are only human and I would hope its a one off. I'm sure they fixed it FOC.

Before I learnt to fit tyres myself I always removed wheels and gave them to the tyre fitter. I must be very untrusting because I always wanted to fit my wheels and brakes myself. This way everything could be cleaned and inspected, greased where appropriate and then refitted using the correct torques. I wonder how many independent tyre fitters use torque wrenches ? Another good reason for doing things yourself.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I always take loose wheels to National Bike Tyres at Newton Aycliffe, a local independent tyre supplier & fitter, never had any problems.

On the subject of torque settings, once again Cooper BMW Sunderland overtightened the rear wheel bolts on a neighbour's RT & he broke a Snap On Torx Bit trying to remove them.

As said, removing the wheels yourself, gives you the opportunity to check, clean & overhaul the brake calipers.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Over tightening the rear wheel bolts is the reason for the present mass recall.  Nice to know it doesn't apply to any LC.  . 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Sounds like Coopers have a problem. I think independent tyre fitters are fine after all its their job, providing they are aware that TMPS are fitted. I had them fitted to a 08 GS. If the RT is the same, the sensor sits in the well of the wheel with little clearance either side of the wheel bead. Very easy to break if you don't know they are there.

How hard is it to torque a bolt ! The contentious question is whether you should grease the threads and then what torque to use. The manufacturers assembly everything dry and as far as I am aware the torque values are for dry threads. The problem in the real world is that dry threads have a habit of seizing due to corrosion. To stop this I use a little ACF50 Block Grease on threads and then reduce the torque value by 10%. I no longer use Copper Grease, apparently it can react to certain metals, although I have never experienced this. ACF50 Block Grease is designed to prevent corrosion. Reducing the torque by 10% is an educated guess, I have never been able to find a definitive answer, just what I do. Useful for the rear flange to stop the wheel corroding onto the flange. So far I have never had a bolt come undone or seize.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.