Gear Shift Pro

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Spencert231

Re: Gear Shift Pro

Post by Spencert231 »

Had mine include with the dynamic package. I was a little hesitant at first fear of mashing gears etc I think it's a wonderful inclusion to riding. I never use it from 1st to 2nd and depending on the Rev range 2nd to 3rd (when it an inbetweener). I love it
Pope

Post by Pope »

Spencert231 wrote: I never use it from 1st to 2nd

I find that i get a nice slick change from 1st to 2nd if i short shift.

I'm loving the Gear assist pro though, and think its one of the stand-out features on the RT.

Mind you, I had a test ride on the new S1000RR the other day, and the [size=2px]Gear assist pro is even smoother on that.....Awesome.[/size]
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Pope when you say short shift between 1 - 2 what sort off RPM are you talking about ? I'm finding I can only get really smooth up changes at push on acceleration rates at higher RPM. More Police friendly speeds its not as smooth. Found the same with down shifting. Positive deceleration its really good otherwise I find its smoother using the clutch. The biggest problem is its making me a hooligan again !
Chad

Post by Chad »

Short shifting is just changing up into a higher gear early. ie changing up before optimum power is reached, or maximum RPM, usually on light acceleration. I can change from 1st to 2nd smoothly if I'm accelerating briskly.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Chad wrote: Short shifting is just changing up into a higher gear early. ie changing up before optimum power is reached, or maximum RPM, usually on light acceleration. I can change from 1st to 2nd smoothly if I'm accelerating briskly.

Yes, whet he said...exactly
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed.  Just get it moving in 1st, pre load the lever and it goes up silently and smoothly every time. Now neutral to first on a hot engine is another story and I've yet to find a way to shut that up. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Agreed.  Just get it moving in 1st, pre load the lever and it goes up silently and smoothly every time. Now neutral to first on a hot engine is another story and I've yet to find a way to shut that up.

The only way I have found going from N - 1 with a hot engine is to shift while moving slowly less than 10 mph. Stationary it just clunks. Using gear assist pro from 1 -2 sounds like you guys are shifting around 2000 RPM, get it moving and shift straight away. Thanks for input will give it a try.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Tried this 1 - 2 and works rather well. As you say works if you shift as soon as you start moving, if you try to accelerate in 1 and shift its plain nasty. A lightly loaded gearbox seems to be the trick for 1-2 changes. Thanks for the info Pope and RTman10.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I found if you attempt to upshift too early it resists and you end up with a bruised and battered top to your big toe of your left foot. If you know you are upshifting a little too early for the bike a very slight and quick flick of the throttle (closing marginally) as you hook the lever up with your foot (no clutch) makes it all go butter smooth. Down shifts are nice when you have to modify a line mid corner and want to drop it a cog to power out but want to maintain full contact with the bars (not messing with a clutch).
markradtke17

Post by markradtke17 »

Just used Gear Shift Pro for the first time yesterday on the new RTLC. It is definitely an adjustment from the traditional clutch/gear shift set up....but a very nice feature to have.

My early experience has been terrific on the shifts going up from 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 6.

Looks like I'll have to spend a little more time finding the right combination of throttle position and timing for any of the shifts from the low side of the gear box. It works, but not as smoothly as advertised.

I'll watch for more postings on what the best practices are for the upshifts from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.
2015 BMW R 1200 RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

1 to 2.  Don't bother.  It will never be smooth. 2 to 3, just a bit of throttle.  Going down I only use it 4 to 3 and the clutch after that. And of course 6 to 5, 5 to 4, 4 to 3.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun May 03, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: 1 to 2.  Don't bother.  It will never be smooth. 2 to 3, just a bit of throttle.  Going down I only use it 4 to 3 and the clutch after that.
Same here I also like to feel the clutch and gear combination, I know, I know call me old fashioned, but I do like it. :vader: