Newbie !! Needs help !!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Mickthecat

Newbie !! Needs help !!!

Post by Mickthecat »

hi guys

Mick here from Cheshire, England.

Just got myself a 97 1100 Rt on eBay . The intention is for some serious Europen mileage for me & the wife this. / next year !.

I'm all set to pick the bike up tomorrow but I'm having serious doubt as to whether it'll fit in my van. I own a Renault  trafic & have 53" floor to ceiling height. Am I going to do it ?

Many thanks

Mick

Last edited by Mickthecat on Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Re: Newbie !!

Post by stelyn »

Hi `Mickthecat',  welcome to the Forum and enjoy your new `toy' .  Don't risk it and maybe not practical,    Just had a measure up and very roughly  floor to height of brake /clutch levers  and with the Bike on the Centre Stand is 52" so with the screen fitted  - no chance,  setting it on its side  stand,  and leaning maybe ?.  but still  tight and you need to be able to secure it well  for the journey  -  DaygloDavid  can probably give you the precise measurements, but either way its a tight fit +  you have to load it via a ramp, that's a lot of weight  to push uphill !!.    ???  If you have a tow hitch, rent /borrow a bike trailer for the day  its not that expensive.  ;) 
Last edited by stelyn on Sun May 03, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Re: Newbie !!

Post by guest2360 »

Just take the screen off, two minute job.  Only put it on the side stand in the van.  Lock the brakes on and a couple of tie downs will hold it.
Mickthecat

Re: Newbie !! Needs help !!

Post by Mickthecat »

Well I did it !  Just about !!

Took the screen off as advised & it wasn't  too bad a fit. 

I bought the bike unseen & am happy overall. It's filthy but nothing a good clean won't sort out. Tried to start the bike when I got there but the battery was flat. Anyway, got her home & put the battery on charge. I could hear the fuel pump priming & noticed the Rev needle flicker ( is it supposed to do a sweep ? ). Prodded the starter & she fired up first time....sounded sweet, BUT died after about 10 seconds. Noticed a smell of fuel. It did this a few times ( running for about 10 seconds then cutting out ) until The battery died. I charged the battery again overnight & have just tried again... The fuel pump primed, a couple of times, the Rev needle flickered slightly & I heard a sort of "popping" sound, then BANG , with the ignition on but the bike not running ...... The most almighty backfire Or something..
I'm totally new to this bike so don't have much idea. There's fuel in the tank, everything else seems to be working ok, lights indicators etc. I'm going to start with a new battery however, previous owner was a car dealer who didn't know bikes but told me the bike ran fine but cut out when it got hot ( regulator ? )

Does anyone have an idea what this starting problem might be ?. It's a 1996 1100. Glacier green in colour ? .

Many thanks

Mike

Last edited by Mickthecat on Tue May 05, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Newbie !! Needs help !!!

Post by guest2360 »

Looks like you now have a project.  Rear drive looks quite corroded and the disc looks scored.  Suspect your big bang was fuel in the exhaust and your main problem is probably the injectors  You should also be getting a flashing ABS light in the dash. If you haven't that a really big problem. Rev counter is electronic but does not sweep on switch in.  1100s always came with panniers and a colour coded front mudguard.    Best of luck
Budman

Post by Budman »

Looks like quite the project. Id strip off all the plastic and start cleaning up the corrosion. I think you can use 4X steel wool for cleaning most of that. I have used a light oil like WD40 and the steel wool to clean some metal parts before.
You really need that front fender and if you are going to do any traveling the painners are a must. The electronics will not be cheap to fix but there are a lot of placed to get some used parts if you cant afford new. RTMan is the parts guy around here so you should go with his suggestions when you need stuff and by the look of the bike you are going to need a lot of stuff.

I loved my 1100, it was a great bike. I never had any issues with surging that others had. Never had an issue with the final drive either.

Best of luck to you.   
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Thanks for your replies,

It's a project alright ha !!
The bike did come with panniers I  took them off to transport it home.  The ABS light is flashing. Going to strip it down, replace the battery & drain the fuel first.

RTman10, what would I need to be looking for with the injectors ? 

Regards

Mike
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Budman is correct.  Get some of the plastic off for a closer look before you invest further in it.  There are only 4 bolts holding the belly pan on and its behind that you will get an idea of its  hidden condition.  Parts are not cheap.  Examples.  Front exhaust £600.  Rear bit just under £600.  OEM battery £133.  Front mudguard, well over £200. Interesting to see in the DVLA site it has an MOT and was taxed up until April thus year so underneath all the muck it might not be all bad. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mickthecat wrote: Thanks for your replies,

It's a project alright ha !!
The bike did come with panniers I  took them off to transport it home.  The ABS light is flashing. Going to strip it down, replace the battery & drain the fuel first.

RTman10, what would I need to be looking for with the injectors ? 
Not sure on the price.  You will probably be better off getting spares from the likes of Motorworks who stock a vast amount of used bits.

Regards

Mike
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

Sorry Mike

What I meant was how would I go about inspecting the injectors ?  Or would you simply replace them as a matter of course ?

Regards

Mike
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Mickthecat looks like you have some work to do. Are you an experienced bike mechanic or is this your first project ? From what you have said your not familiar with this model so I guess a good starting point would be to get hold of a good workshop manual. This would give you an idea of whats involved in sorting mechanical issues and help with servicing the bike. Looks from the condition it needs some TLC. The minimum would be a full service including brakes. Maybe some of the forum members here who have experience with the 11RT could point you to some good fettling websites. I'm sure there must be some good "how to" sites about. Hope you have fun.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mickthecat wrote: Sorry Mike

What I meant was how would I go about inspecting the injectors ?  Or would you simply replace them as a matter of course ?

Regards

Mike
If it was mine I would give it a no/low cost clean up including new fuel then get it inspected by a BMW workshop.  Probably cost You not much more than £50.00 and could save you from falling into a bottomless pit of repair bills. 
Mickthecat

Post by Mickthecat »

RTman10 wrote:
Mickthecat wrote: Sorry Mike

Regards

Mike
If it was mine I would give it a no/low cost clean up including new fuel then get it inspected by a BMW workshop.  Probably cost You not much more than £50.00 and could save you from falling into a bottomless pit of repair bills.

That's a good idea. Thanks

Mike
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Newbie !! Needs help !!

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:I'm going to start with a new battery
Looks like the Battery for a R 1100 RT is the same as that for many other models,
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_2311.

Have a look at this thread for further details etc., http://www.1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1165.0.html.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mickthecat wrote:Going to strip it down, replace the battery & drain the fuel first.
Do you know how long the bike has been stood with the fuel in the tank.

A fuel system conditioner may be an idea to help clean the system & injectors etc., something like Silkolene Pro FST,
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-809-silkole ... gines.aspx.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.