2015 RT Front Brake Calipers - Wide Open ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
NoVaBob

2015 RT Front Brake Calipers - Wide Open ?

Post by NoVaBob »

On my new 2015 RT --- what's with the exposed back of the calipers?  No other RT or other recent model I know of has this part missing.  Apparently it's on purpose, but why?  And what's the exposed and seemingly unattached spring in the photo for?

Which of the covers are bets?  The Touratech gets comments of being cheap and feeling like the retainer isn't going to hold.  The other from Wunderlich appears to be a metal plate that covers the open back flatly.

[attach=1]
Attachments
OpenCaliper-1.jpg
Levisp

Re: 2015 RT Front Brake Calipers - Wide Open ?

Post by Levisp »

I have never owned a bike where the back of the calliper has been covered, so for me it looks perfectly normal. I guess the reason is for cooling. The silly spring clip ( arrowed ) is to stop the pin from unscrewing itself. I believe its an additional safety feature.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The caliper on the 2015 RT looks very similar to those on previous models.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Looks the same to me. I like the design makes servicing the pads very easy. Notice the pads are handed so you cannot put them in incorrectly. Also an open back means you can visually check wear very easily too. The question I would ask is why on earth would you want to put a cover on the back, making something simple more complicated.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the pads on a pre-2014/15 model not being "handed", this allows the pads to be swapped around, I have found that sometimes the inner pad wears more than the outer or vice versa.

Keeping an eye on the wear, (without a cover fitted), means the pads can be switched to extend the service life.
Last edited by David. on Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoVaBob

Post by NoVaBob »

Thanks guys ..... well, that's what the forums are all about --- getting info and advice from other tenured BMW owners. But, the spring clip has no tension on it, no grip, not hooked on anything.  It just rotates freely on the pin.  ????

I've had 5 BMWs before this, never really noticed this on the others, and this just looked different.  It was a concern my BMW buddies raised, thus concerning me.  Thanks to you, no more concern -- and even better, no money wasted on accessories.  Thanks again.
NoVaBob

Post by NoVaBob »

Image Below[attachimg=1]
Attachments
OpenCaliper-2.jpg
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Just for your peace of mind I have just checked mine and its the same as yours. Its free to spin but it does sit in a groove on pin 3 ( Davids photo ).