1200RTLC v 1200GSLC.....Comparisons?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Pope

1200RTLC v 1200GSLC.....Comparisons?

Post by Pope »

So, after more than two months on a new R1200GS loaner. I finally swapped back to my RT, and what a totally different bike the RT is to the GS (yes i know...but).

Engine - If i didn't know that both bike shared the same engine, then i would say they had totally different motors.
The RT just feels so much smoother and quicker and better fueled. Which i assume is down to heavier Flywheel and different engine maps maybe....but wow.

Gearbox - I'm sorry to say that the gearbox on the GS was horrible, and no way could i live with that. Whereas the RT's box is excellent. Whether its the shift assist system that makes it smoother, i don't know. But the box on the GS was dreadful. 

Handling - The RT's 17in front wheel makes the bike steer and change direction like a sports bike compared to the GS (which is pretty good anyway).
Also, the RT has superior high speed stability.

Comfort - Now there really is no comparison. The fairing, seat and riding position and engine, combine to make the RT a very nice place to spend your time.
The GS is not an uncomfortable bike, and the ergonomics are ok. But lack of wind protection the buzzy/vibey motor and nasty gearbox and annoying road/Tyre noise, made me very glad to give it back to BMW.

OK, so what do you guys that had a GS loaner think???

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Chad

Re: 1200RTLC v 1200GSLC.....Comparisons?

Post by Chad »

I was seriously thinking of getting a new GS before I got the LC. I've heard so many people say the GS's are more fun, faster etc. but what sealed it for me was the wind protection on long hauls eg across Germany/France etc. I know from experience that it can get very tiring when your battered with winds at motorway speeds for longer than a couple of hours. I've always been intrigued bout what the attraction was/is with GS's. They're too big for any real off roading or greenlaning (I've tried) & they're clearly not designed for long distance touring. Which brings me to the conclusion that it must just be the image, partly owing to the long way down programme. I like the look myself and if money was no object I would have a GS alongside my RT LC but not instead of.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad wrote: I was seriously thinking of getting a new GS before I got the LC. I've heard so many people say the GS's are more fun, faster etc. but what sealed it for me was the wind protection on long hauls eg across Germany/France etc. I know from experience that it can get very tiring when your battered with winds at motorway speeds for longer than a couple of hours. I've always been intrigued bout what the attraction was/is with GS's. They're too big for any real off roading or greenlaning (I've tried) & they're clearly not designed for long distance touring. Which brings me to the conclusion that it must just be the image, partly owing to the long way down programme. I like the look myself and if money was no object I would have a GS alongside my RT LC but not instead of.
+1 I test rode the GSA on lots of occasions and for some fairly long runs and loved it. However, I was leaving a Tiger XC and my missus made the point " they look too similar, okay not his big brother but a cousin" in her straight talking Yorkshire way. Then added so you are going to spend what on what?  I loved the RT better at the end of the day, but would love a GS as a stable mate, you know like race horses have a donkey as a friend :alas:
Chad

Post by Chad »

£14,000 for me is bit too rich for a white elephant sat in the garage next to my RT. Hence the KTM:-) this does work off road, and makes no pretences of being a road bike!
Attachments
image.jpg
Pope

Post by Pope »

Chad wrote: £14,000 for me is bit too rich for a white elephant sat in the garage next to my RT. Hence the KTM:-) this does work off road, and makes no pretences of being a road bike!

Bloody Hell, thats a steep hill  :o
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Pope wrote:
Bloody Hell, thats a steep hill  :o
Do you reckon it will go up hill as well.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

RTman10 wrote: Do you reckon it will go up hill as well.
hey Chad is your missus on the rope :))
Chad

Post by Chad »

I've given up even trying to straighten up the photos. They're the right way up on my other devices & when I email etc so why this website decides to rotate them is beyond me!
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Chad wrote: I've given up even trying to straighten up the photos. They're the right way up on my other devices & when I email etc so why this website decides to rotate them is beyond me!
When I receive pics on my laptop (Lenovo  :)) ) they come in on their side. When I receive the Sam pic on iPad iPhone they are the right way up?
I still haven't worked out how to change the pic position on my profile always ends up on its side.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Spencert231 wrote: When I receive pics on my laptop (Lenovo  :) ) ) they come in on their side. When I receive the Sam pic on iPad iPhone they are the right way up?
I still haven't worked out how to change the pic position on my profile always ends up on its side.
Its a problem with the apple devises it seems.
Apple devices tags the images wrong - and then this software are interpreting them wrong.

Will look closer into this later on when time permits
Chad

Post by Chad »

STeinar wrote: Its a problem with the apple devises it seems.
Apple devices tags the images wrong - and then this software are interpreting them wrong.

Will look closer into this later on when time permits
I'm not sure the problem is with the apple devises- one of the photos I previously uploaded on this forum was the same photo I uploaded to Autotrader and EBay. Both from my iPad, and they were fine. To further check this, I have emailed photos from my iPad, to PC, iPhone to PC, iMac to Apple laptop & it's consistently fine. My IMac is 5 months old & my apple laptop is a month old, iPhone 6, 3 weeks old so the software is up to date). I'm sure it's a language issue but can't figure what, how or where.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Apple has an auto-sensing from hat is up on a photos - from the camera.

On my MAC all 4 photos are shown correct - even that the photos was taken in all 4 directions.

And - all 4 is showing correct - also here ...

After looking into the code - I find that the software is trying to read the same info from the photo - and automatically turn then in correct position.
Like they are here.
iPhone 6 - is now encoding this correct - and therefor showing the images correct here.

But - I will look into the code later on to see if I'm able to disable this function  ;D
Attachments
IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_1475.jpg
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1473.jpg
Last edited by STeinar on Wed May 13, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Thanks for looking into this STeinar.