Battery Strength

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Fred smith

Battery Strength

Post by Fred smith »

I recently purchased a 2015 R1200RT. Prior to this bike I owned a 2009 R1200 GS. I kept it tendered by way of the BMW Tender. If you're familiar with this tender, it goes through a series of colored lights, green says the battery is fully charged. With my new 2015 RT, the max color is yellow, before green. It reached green one time and I'm concrete my battery is defective?  Does anyone have a spin on this? C:-)
guest2360

Re: Battery Strength

Post by guest2360 »

The BMW charger with the lights is of an old design and will not work fully with your bike. You can check your battery condition in the bikes memory.  Think it comes up after the Oil OK indication.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If you are charging the Battery via an Aux. Socket,

"The motorcycle's on-board electronics know when the battery is fully charged. The on-board socket is switched off when this happens."

Therefore, the bike is deciding when the Battery is fully charged, not the charger.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't think so with the new kit.  The charger goes into sleep mode for some time then switches back on all by itself when it detects a drop in voltage. The new kit has a large LED display telling you what's happening all the time. 
Having said that my bike sat for 3 months on the dreaded shock recall and the battery was  still 95% charged at the end.