Tyres - How long do they last?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Tyres - How long do they last?

Post by David. »

With "Back to Back" Tours this year, I need some confidence that the tyres will last 5 to 6,000 miles.

I will be riding 2 Up + Luggage on both trips.

What kind of mileage have you got out of which tyres under these riding conditions.

guest2360

Re: Tyres - How long do they last?

Post by guest2360 »

Very unfortunate mileage.  I always found they were starting to go off from about 4500 and totally shot and illegal by 6000, both front and rear. There are of course owners, mainly over the pond who have been known to get twice that mileage.   
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I'm with RT, by 6000 miles I'm usually replacing my tires. By then the front is cupped and the rear is showing serious tread wear.

That being said these PR3's I installed midway through last season are looking really good at just over 5000. That's a first for me!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To be on the safe side, perhaps I'd better change them between the trips & keep the replaced tyres as "part worns".
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

2 up on a Tour, that probably wouldn't be a bad idea. It's really not that expensive to swap tires, and with someone else on the back I'd rather be overly cautious.

By myself I'd probably  through, but with a contact patch the size of a silver dollar and someone else to be concerned about, it's not worth it.

How many miles are on them, and what are you expecting to add on your trips?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Firenailer wrote:How many miles are on them, and what are you expecting to add on your trips?
The Original Bridgestone 021's have 3,000 miles on, got an 800 mile trip to Wales, so will probably run these tyres until I go to Germany.

The Germany trip is 2,000 miles, will change them again before doing 3,000 miles to Norway & back.

I'll keep the "part worns" & make a note of the mileage they have done, then use them again sometime.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

How pertinent... Just in for its 6000mile/1 year service and I've had the call that the front is illegal. Lower than 1mm on one side - I guess I have enjoyed those left handers too much over the last 2000 miles. The wife won't be pleased... Means I'll be keeping this GS until tomorrow. Definitely made the right choice for me with the RT but interesting to try the GS!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

steve.sharkey wrote:Just in for its 6000mile/1 year service and I've had the call that the front is illegal.
What tyres are on the Bike & are you replacing with the same.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

David,

In all honesty if you swap to P3's or 4's you won't believe how much better your RT will feel and handle. Toss the Bridgestones and you'll love your trip SO MUCH more! The change is almost miraculous.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm still undecided & now drawn towards Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmarts because the tread pattern will allow the depth to be monitored in the centre where it wears the most.

Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

DaygloDavid wrote: What tyres are on the Bike & are you replacing with the same.
michelin p4 GT replaced with the same. I want to see how these wear because I've never worn a tyre like the one that was on there in the back of my mind I'm suspicious that the dealer took a file to my previous front to claw back some cash since I had them over a barrel on the servicing cost! If this one wears significant differently then I'll select a new dealer for all future servicing, but until then I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad

Post by Chad »

steve.sharkey wrote: The wife won't be pleased... Means I'll be keeping this GS until tomorrow. Definitely made the right choice for me with the RT but interesting to try the GS!
How do you find the GS compared to the RT?
Pope

Post by Pope »

Original Conti Road Attack GT's totally shagged out by 6000 miles..

On my second set now, but might try PR4's next.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Chad wrote: How do you find the GS compared to the RT?
As i must switched from a 2012er GS to the RT, now having 700km behind me on the RT in the last few days, i feel like i can give you my 2c.

It starts of course with the non-wethead vs wethead difference. I rode the GS-LC for a while as well, and found that the LC engine does not "fit" with the adventure bike the GS is. Too smooth, too "japanese" imo for an "Enduro" bike.

For the RT it fits nicely. The riding position for me (6''5 tall) is very good on the RT, more active than the GS. I love the better wetter/wind protection, and the way the bike handles is so much more road friendly compared to the GS. Yes, the GS is a great all around bike, but you sit higher on it, the weight distribution is not so "low/centered" as it is on the RT, at least for my frame.

The smaller front wheel makes the RT more nimble on the road, and yes, the RT weights more than a naked GS, but when was the last time you saw a naked GS?

The only problem i have with the RT vs.the GS, strangely enough, is that the GS is the better touring bike in the respect of luggage capacity. Not that you can fill her up, because of the weight limitation, but the ZegaPro boxes with 45/38L plus topcase, plus Ortlieb bag, plus Tank Bag... The luggage options are just more varied and bigger. Oh, and the missing LED light and the missing lock for the navigator :)

I don't regret the switch at all. I don't miss off-road riding, for touring here in the countryside the RT is the superior bike, and, compared to a GS, the RT is a beautiful bike... I think i call mine Giana :) - a GS i would never even think about naming.... Calling her a Cow is the only fitting name i ever heard :)

Frank