New from Germany

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
fmantek

New from Germany

Post by fmantek »

I am following this forum for 2 months, since i decided to trade my 2.5 year old R1200GS in for a new, San Marino Blue, 2015 RT. Here she is, still in the showroom on Saturday, when i picket her up in the morning.

This is the 3rd BMW in the last 4 years, started with an F800GS, that i fast figured is not the right bike for me (i am a tall guy, the F800 was just not right for long distance travels. I like to go down to Italy for a long weekend, and that's like 2500km in 4-5 days). So i needed something bigger, and the R1200GS seemed like a good fit. It's a great bike, but at least the 2012 model had high fuel consumption, a rather small tank, and i am not really a dirt rider. I can do it, but it's more a thing i do to get somewhere, not to have fun. I just spend the last big ride on it in Marokko for 3 weeks, and, heck, everything i did there, i could have done with a Harley, maybe a bit slower, but it would be possible.

So i decided touring is the thing to focus on, and from all the bikes i tried and looked up the specifications, only one bike has the range due to a larger tank, the ability to take 2 people and luggage, looks good and fits me.

Looking forward to be a part of this community, sharing ride experiences and the joy that this hobby is.

Frank
Levisp

Re: New from Germany

Post by Levisp »

Welcome Frank that looks a lovely bike. Personally I think the RT LC is the best bike I have owned, it handles, it tours, it does everything I want. Best bit of after market kit, Avant front mudguard extender, if you have not already check it out, keeps the majority of the crud off the front of the engine. Hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I do.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Welcome Frank
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi Frank, welcome,  enjoy your new RT and the forum..... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
O. E. Torres
United States of America

Post by O. E. Torres »

Congratulations! The perfect bike for those long trips. I just completed a 6000 mile trip from California to Ottawa, Ontario and back on my 2009 RT. I do suggest highway pegs for those long trips. Sure make a difference when doing 500+ miles every day!

P.S.: are those scratches on the muffler?
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Levisp wrote: Welcome Frank that looks a lovely bike. Personally I think the RT LC is the best bike I have owned, it handles, it tours, it does everything I want. Best bit of after market kit, Avant front mudguard extender, if you have not already check it out, keeps the majority of the crud off the front of the engine. Hope you enjoy your new bike as much as I do.
Welcome Frank I am sure you will not be disappointed with your choice of bike. Like you I went through a long period of testing, reviewing and reading specification to arrive at the same decision and I am extremely happy. There is a section on the forum regarding accessories and one that we will all agree on is the front extender http://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014- ... ant-rt_lc/ a really good bit of kit that will not break your bank anymore than what you have just paid out, we all agree it's a worthwhile piece of equipment. Enjoy
Chad

Post by Chad »

That's a great colour Frank. Apparently that's the fastest colour... (After my ebony black one:-). The best extra for the bike is a nice expensive piece of jewellery for your wife. That pretty much gives you a free pass to go touring on the bike as much often as you like!
fmantek

Post by fmantek »

Roaddawg wrote:
P.S.: are those scratches on the muffler?
No, those are reflections from the floor :). Shiny, a new muffler....

Frank
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Chad wrote: Apparently that's the fastest colour... (After my ebony black one:-).

In your dreams...

;-)