My first post

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Dogsloe

My first post

Post by Dogsloe »

Hello,
        First of all I got my user name wrong.I wanted to use Dogslow. OK a few years ago I had a lovely Honda St 1100 and covered a lot of happy fault free  miles on it.For one reason or another I sold it and gave up motorcycling,however approaching  the big 60 I am looking again for a fairly quick comfortable reliable
Touring bike which brings me here today.I have been looking online in England at the Auto trader/biketrader website  and to my surprise there are a few ex plod bikes for sale at the moment that have been converted back to  non plod spec.I don't mind buying a miler as long as it has full  history..What faults have you ladies and gentlemen come across.What should I look out for.A 2009 year model is where I am aiming at.If all else fails I will buy a st1300  but I fancy one of these beemers
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: My first post

Post by David. »

The Sgt. of our local Plod Motorcycle Section advised me against purchasing an Ex Job Bike.

They get hammered, particularly the gear boxes when looking for neutral with the left hand off the bars.
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Welcome Dogsloe alias Dogslow welcome to the site. Sorry I can't help you as I have bought new this last 10yrs, but I am sure in fact I am positive you will find the forum full of experts to help you make a informed decision.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi `Dogsloe', and welcome to the Forum  `RTman10'  can possibly offer some tips on what to look out for.... ;)
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Run a mile from any ex plod bike.  They have a hard life and many authorities use contract service people to look after them.  Everyone I have seen close up has been rough.  2009 models were the last of the single overhead camshaft models but that shouldn't bother you.  They made a special in the last year, all were black and came with a colour matched top box and a Navigator IV. All were SE models which gave you traction control, an alarm and tyre pressure monitors.  I owed one for about 2 years and it was faultless.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Welcome Dog. Before you decide on an 09 single cam, ride a twin cam. These came out from 2010 and in my opinion are a huge improvement on the single cam. The performance figures don't show any real difference but believe me the riding experience is much different. The single cam in my experience is dull & lifeless. Some have been known to surge at low revs around eg roundabouts, but the twin cam is much more responsive across the rev range. Also the clocks on the pre 2010 can give an annoying glare so reading them in sunlight can be very difficult. It's worth paying that bit extra if you like to 'ride' a bike & not just dawdle. The main things to look for: corrosion on the engine & final drive unit (unsightly but doesn't effect performance) faulty handlebar switch gear (@£280) & fuel gauge @£80 (depending on year). Go for the higher spec one SE LE or limited editions. ESA isn't a gimmick, it really does work well wether riding solo or 2up. Many people seem to fit electronic gadgets on the pre 2010 to stop the slow speed surging but these can overfuel & cock your emissions up for your MOT so I've heard (but my 55 plate had one fitted & it was ok) Oh and get some decent tyres fitted, these bikes handle beautifully but the wrong tyre choice can significantly effect that experience.
Dogsloe

Post by Dogsloe »

Thank you,I will look at 2010 model year twin cam engine
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't know if I agree entirely with Chad.  As he said switchgear can be a problem but not on pre 2010 bikes which has the older but faultless type. I owned a total of 3 single cams and never had any surging problems with them. My 2005 one was in the dealers yesterday for a service, still perfect.  It has only done 50K though. The instruments on both types are the same except they fitted a plastic shroud in 2010.  I still find them less than easy to read.