Seat Change

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
helmik

Seat Change

Post by helmik »

Hi all, just got a 2010 R1200RT MU, px'd it for a Triumph Tiger 1050, different beasts but the Beemer handles as well as the Tiger did. Love it so far, love the electric screen!!
IWhen i got it i realised the seat is the lowered one piece version, its just a touch too low for me.
Is the split seat a straight swap for a one piece unit?
I dont have any height adjustment at the front as far as i can see but on ebay i find a bar that i can fit in, anyone done this swap and is it feasible?
Any idea of cost, wheres the best place to source the 2 seats and anything else i will need please?

Off to Slovenia at the end of June so i need to sort it before then.

Cheers

Mick
guest2360

Re: Seat Change

Post by guest2360 »

From memory the one piece, also call the comfort seat is 775mm high. The two piece standard seat is adjustable with the bar at the front and two plastic graduated blocks at the rear of the front seat. Both these parts are removed to fit the bench seat. Two new seats will be expensive, even more so if you want heated ones. EBay is probably the  best bet for the seats. The bar and the plastic bits won't cost much new. Look at RealOEM for what you will need.       
helmik

Post by helmik »

Thanks RT man, are the blocks the bits in the second pic on this ebay link??
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181737031151? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Mick
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No.  The  upside down pic shows the two rubber bits that sit in the graduates blocks. As the seat goes up it also moves slightly back.  The plastic blocks are bolted to the frame.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri May 15, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmik

Post by helmik »

With you. think ive seen some on ebay recently, i will have a look.
At the front, is the bar part of the plastic fitting with what looks like 2 hooks built in??

Cheers for your help, and whats Real OEM? ???  S'ok, ive found real OEM, very useful resource too, thanks for that, i know how my evening will be spent!!!

Mick
Last edited by helmik on Fri May 15, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The bit at the front allows you to move the adjustment bar up or down.  The bar has a large rubber cup on both ends  that fit into the seat.  Its held in place by a rubber strap/band.  .
helmik

Post by helmik »

Right, job jobbed!!

Picked up a pair of seats, front and back off ebay today, the other parts are coming from Motorworks so should all be in place by end of this week, fingers crossed!!
The seats i got are heated, my bike doesnt have that facility yet. Anyone know if the wiring is already there and i just need the right switchgear to plug it all in??

Oh, i also have a lowered dual seat for sale now too.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mick
helmik

Post by helmik »

OK, answered my own question, got the new seats, the wiring is in place on the bike but i need to change the right hand switchgear to get them to aork and i need 2 fly leads to connect the seats to the bike harness.

Anyone after a lowered one piece seat before it hits ebay??

Cheers

Mick
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I've been thinking about one of the one piece Comfort seats, but I'm in U.S., and I think you are not, correct?
helmik

Post by helmik »

Hiya, sadly i am in the UK, postage would be hideously expensive i think.

Mick
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

Hi Helmik,

It bought the Low RT when I picked mine up in 2012 and it came with that seat. I replaced it with the one piece BMW Comfort seat to raise my seat height to 30.5" which is about perfect for me.

I also had my Dealer replace my right side switch with the heated option version during the recall as all wiring is in place and now have heated seats just like it came straight from the factory ( even though it was not an option on the lowered versions).

If your recall work hasn't been performed yet ask your dealer about it.
helmik

Post by helmik »

Hi, what was the recall work done?? Ive dug around and cant find anything. I have sourced the switchgear on ebay, and the required wiring so might just go ahead with this, but not until im back from Slovenia and Italy in mid July.

Thanks

Mick