I think the R1250RT is for me, have I overlooked anything?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 225 times
Great Britain

Re: I think the R1250RT is for me, have I overlooked anything?

Post by burridge01 »

Wanderlust64 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:35 pm My HD Ultra Limited is getting heavy & I'm tired of throwing money at seat mods, windshields, and suspension to increase my comfort as I've aged & my back issues got worse.
Who's going to tell him :lol:
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Wanderlust64 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:35 pm Great post! I'm in the same position, and somehow stumbled across the R1250 RT & have been doing a lot of research. My HD Ultra Limited is getting heavy & I'm tired of throwing money at seat mods, windshields, and suspension to increase my comfort as I've aged & my back issues got worse. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum, as I have very little faith that HD will get up their game before I get to old or beat up to ride anymore.
You need to be a young fit bloke to ride a Harley and good luck to those that do. I am sadly neither of those things anymore. I've owned a Sportster since 2010 to use as a summer bike for nice days and extended stays in the lakes as her ladyships parents had a place up there. I like how light it is (for a Harley) but like you I have changed things to try and make me like it more but since buying the 1250RT I just like riding that more than the Sportster.
Last week I set off on the BM for a summer afternoon spin to the Trough of Bowland. There was a road closure so I ended up at Devils Bridge, then home and I felt great . Nice afternoon steady ride. Two days later I took the Sportster to Glasson dock and when I got there I really needed that cuppa as I'd had a bit of a kicking from the roads and suspension. Less than half the distance to Devils bridge and I still have to ride home yet.Over the years I've changed the seat, the rear suspension, the front end to wide glide. I can neither confirm nor deny that there may be some bigger juggs on it too. I'm seriously giving some thought to moving it on now. I may try better springs and heavier oil in the forks but life's too short and there's loads of other bikes to try yet. I feel like I might have had enough and It sounds like you do too. ;)
Wanderlust64
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Wanderlust64 »

burridge01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:48 am Who's going to tell him :lol:
OK, tell me what? :-D

If you mean I'd be throwing money at a new bike to get it to my liking, I expect that. But I think I'd be starting at a better base point than with a HD. I think I've reached the limits of what I can do to my bike, and factory HD isn't doing much either. lol