Test ride - brand new 2014 R1200RT

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
STeinar

Test ride - brand new 2014 R1200RT

Post by STeinar »

Well, coming from more than 200’km on a Honda ST1100, then 100’Km on a 1200LT and then 45’om a 1600GTL – I have been thinking of getting back to a “smaller” bike again.

Had the possibility to take 3 hour tour on a brand new RT, with all possible factory mounted options.

First – sitting on it – I felt getting back to the ST100 – sitting on a bike not in it.

The seat, dash and handlebars felt normal and well placed.

Handling in low speed was very impressive, butch better than the GTL.

Getting out of town – I immediately felt the vibrations, and sound of the bike.

Much more sound from the exhaust, in fact too much for me. 

And talking about the vibrations – well – I don’t say I could not get used to it, but it was far more than I hoped for.

On the highway – 100-120km/h – it handled very well – easy to ride, mirrors was perfect – and overall weary pleased to ride.

On smaller roads – I was able to find some small really curved roads – and the bike was handling surprisingly well.

I more than ones – finding me having 10-30 km/h more than I thought I had, and the bike was handling weary well.

In fact – don’t know what will touch ground first – cylinders/bags or feet’s – but was positive surprised . 

The power of the engine is more than I need – and overtaking was no issue – and more than inaf to get a nice feeling out of the curves.

BUT – vibrations – and more vibrations.

There was a little room between 2500 and 3500rpm where I could find myself thinking that I could cope with it, but as I was throttling up – I was telling my selves – nop – this is not for me.

Transmission is one of the best I have ever tried, and same with the brakes. Steering very precise – and gave a nice feeling on the curved roads.

The end of story is that I made a decision – boxer engines are not for me – I could not find myself riding this bike with this engine – hour after hour – as I often dos.

Everything else except the motoric and for me irritating vibrations was and is excellent. This is a weary nice bike, and if I could handle the vibrations – I would swap the K1600 into the 1200RT.

After entering my K1600GTL on the way home again – with all its klink/klunk from the transmission – I felt like going from a noisy/vibrating well handling sports car – and into a limousine.

I will stick to my K1600 until BMW is coming with the K1600LT one day  ;D

STeinar
Last edited by STeinar on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Test ride - brand new 2014 R1200RT

Post by guest2360 »

The bad vibrations might just have been on that bike.  They are obviously not as smooth as a 6 but I haven't come across many owners over concerned with engine vibration.  My chance will come next week to compare them.
I dont think your previous bikes would have prepared you well for a boxer experience as they are all very much an acquired taste. I would say try again. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

RTman10 wrote: The bad vibrations might just have been on that bike.  They are obviously not as smooth as a 6 but I haven't come across many owners over concerned with engine vibration.  My chance will come next week to compare them.
I dont think your previous bikes would have prepared you well for a boxer experience as they are all very much an acquired taste. I would say try again.
Agree totally,  I came for mainly four cylinder bikes and at first fount the boxer way too vibey,  agricultural even..
Now I can't see me riding anything else,  give it more time,  I'm sure you'll grow to love it
Pope

Post by Pope »

Yes, i agree the Boxer engine is an acquired taste to some...like Marmite.
However, i think my RT is the smoothest boxer i've ever ridden, and so very much smoother than the 1200GS i had as a loaner.

I know the K1600's IL6 engine is buttery smooth, but i actually prefer the power delivery and character of the RT now.

Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Interesting comments about the vibration of the new LC RT, I too test rode one recently.

The bike I was comparing it against was a 2010 Twin Cam model, and after the ride on the LC, I preferred the TC.

In the end, I part-ex'd the 2010 bike with 38K miles on for a 2012 with 3K on the clock.